Looking for a analog/digital terminal server with lots of inputs

• Thread starter rfassbi2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Server
In summary, those looking for an analog/digital terminal server with multiple inputs should consider the number of inputs, compatibility with both analog and digital devices, and the ability to remotely access and control the server. Other factors to consider include the quality and speed of data transfer, as well as any additional features such as encryption or redundancy. Ultimately, finding the right terminal server will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the user.
rfassbi2
I'm setting up a system to monitor lots of different sensors in a building (90+). lots of them are analog and lots of them are digital. It is going to a different system in each building(lots of buildings).

I need to read in thermostats, HVAC unit monitoring, Generators, etc...

I am looking for something similar to what I found here:
http://www.perle.com/products/Ethernet-IO-Device-Server.shtml"

but it would be too expensive to buy thousands of these. THOUGHTS?

The information can be sent via tcp/ip, rs232 or something similar

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
rfassbi2 said:
I'm setting up a system to monitor lots of different sensors in a building (90+). lots of them are analog and lots of them are digital. It is going to a different system in each building(lots of buildings).

I need to read in thermostats, HVAC unit monitoring, Generators, etc...

I am looking for something similar to what I found here:
http://www.perle.com/products/Ethernet-IO-Device-Server.shtml"

but it would be too expensive to buy thousands of these. THOUGHTS?

The information can be sent via tcp/ip, rs232 or something similar

You can check out the module and network offerings here:

http://www.opensystemsproducts.com/MODERN/index.asp?FSCat=15&url=IND&iFromFeatured=1

They carry a number of network sensor solutions.

[Full Disclosure] They carry some of the products that my company helps to design [/Full Disclosure]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Looking for a analog/digital terminal server with lots of inputs

What is a analog/digital terminal server?

A analog/digital terminal server is a device that allows multiple analog and digital inputs to be connected and accessed remotely through a network. It acts as a central hub for managing and controlling various devices and equipment, such as sensors, cameras, and other devices, that use analog or digital signals.

What are the benefits of using an analog/digital terminal server?

Using an analog/digital terminal server offers several benefits, including increased flexibility and convenience in managing and monitoring multiple devices from a single location. It also allows for remote access and control, reducing the need for physical presence and saving time and resources. Additionally, it can improve data collection and analysis by providing real-time data from various sources.

How many inputs can a analog/digital terminal server support?

The number of inputs that a analog/digital terminal server can support varies depending on the specific model and manufacturer. However, most terminal servers offer a range of input options, from 8 to 32 inputs or more. It is important to consider the number of inputs needed for your specific application when choosing a terminal server.

What is the difference between analog and digital inputs?

Analog inputs are continuous and can have an infinite number of values, while digital inputs are discrete and can only have two values, typically represented as 0 or 1. Analog inputs are commonly used for measuring physical quantities, such as temperature, pressure, and voltage, while digital inputs are often used for on/off signals or data transmission.

How do I choose the right analog/digital terminal server for my needs?

When choosing a analog/digital terminal server, consider the number of inputs needed, the type of inputs (analog or digital), the compatibility with your existing devices, and any additional features or capabilities that may be required for your specific application. It is also important to research different brands and read reviews to ensure you are choosing a reliable and high-quality terminal server.