Looking for a Lamczos program in fortran

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a source deck of Lanczos in f77 for large sparse Hermitian matrices. The person is looking for a user-friendly option and mentions a book written by Jane Cullum and Ralph Willowghbi that they find too difficult to use. They ask if there is a library that has it and can be linked, and someone suggests trying LINPACK or ARPACK. They also recommend a resource for understanding the method in depth.
yshai avishai
Anyone can help me getting a source deck of Lanczos in f77 for large sparse Hermitian matrices? I need one that is user friendly. There is one written by Jane Cullum and Ralph Willowghbi that I find too difficult to use. Or is there some library that has it and can be linked?

Thanks in advance

Technology news on Phys.org
Have you tried LINPACK?

I don't know that book, but it was written in 1985 so it dates back almost to the start of "practical" use of Lanczos eigensolution methods, and therefore I would be cautious about the quality of the algorithms. Also note the authors' largest test problem was only 5,000 DOF, which is 100 times smaller than today's concept of a "large" eigenproblem.

Try http://www.caam.rice.edu/software/ARPACK/

Related to Looking for a Lamczos program in fortran

1. What is a Lamczos program in Fortran?

A Lamczos program in Fortran is a subroutine that can be used to perform a number of matrix operations, including matrix multiplication, inversion, and eigenvalue calculation. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications for its efficient and reliable performance.

2. How do I find a Lamczos program in Fortran?

You can search for a Lamczos program in Fortran in various online repositories, such as GitHub or the Fortran Wiki. You can also check with your institution or colleagues who may have a copy of the program.

3. Is a Lamczos program in Fortran compatible with all operating systems?

Yes, since Fortran is a compiled language, a Lamczos program can be compiled and run on various operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.

4. Are there any alternatives to using a Lamczos program in Fortran?

Yes, there are other programming languages and libraries that offer similar functionality to Lamczos in Fortran. Some popular alternatives include Python's NumPy library and MATLAB's built-in functions for matrix operations.

5. Do I need to have a strong background in Fortran to use a Lamczos program?

While it is helpful to have some knowledge of Fortran, it is not necessary to have a strong background in the language to use a Lamczos program. The program should come with documentation and instructions on how to use it, making it accessible to users with varying levels of Fortran knowledge.