Looking for a source for equation for power

In summary, this conversation is about power and how to calculate it. The person is looking for a reference for this equation, and has found one on the internet.
ccameron666
I'm trying to reference a source for the equation P=(MxAxS)/T. power=(mass x acceleration/gravity x displacement) / time. I can't find a source, any help would be great.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ccameron666 said:
power=(mass x acceleration/gravity x displacement) / time.
How did gravity get in there?
Power is Work/time and that's Mass X Acceleration X displacement / time but it can be re-written in dozens of different ways. But that one, above, doesn't make sense to me. Check your source, perhaps.

I think OP meant acceleration/gravity in the sense that it's acceleration or acceleration due to gravity. Poor choice of notation is all. Probably.

Likes Benny Jacob
So, that would work for an elevator or hydro plant. What do you mean by needing a "source"? This is a pretty fundamental definition/equation.

Yeah sorry for the confusion, I have no study of physics I am studying strength and conditioning so very unfamiliar with these equations. I'm looking at the power generation while squating so I'm referring to gravity as the acceleration. I know this equation is fundamental and I am new to written work I just can't find a definitive place for my Harvard referring of it.

All I'm really looking for is who came up with this equations or a place I can go to reference it. A book, website or similar.

ccameron666 said:
All I'm really looking for is who came up with this equations or a place I can go to reference it. A book, website or similar.
To get a better understanding of power, start here: Power

Likes russ_watters
As far as who came up with them, you can start with the brief history on the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy#History

I don't think there is all that much value in this and I'm not sure why you would want to know. It's largely just a history lesson that doesn't really have anything to do with the use of the concept. So I'd spend your time on Doc's link instead.

Power is simply how much work can be done , or energy spent with respect to time...

Related to Looking for a source for equation for power

1. What is the equation for power?

The equation for power is P = W/t, where P is power in watts, W is work in joules, and t is time in seconds.

2. How is power related to energy?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or used. This means that the higher the power, the faster energy is being transferred or used.

3. Can you provide an example of how the power equation is used?

Sure. Let's say you use 500 joules of energy to lift a 50 kg weight in 10 seconds. The power equation would be P = 500 J / 10 s = 50 watts. This means that you are using 50 watts of power to lift the weight.

4. Are there any other equations for power besides P = W/t?

Yes, there are other equations for power depending on the situation. For example, in electrical circuits, the equation is P = VI, where V is voltage and I is current. In rotational motion, the equation is P = τω, where τ is torque and ω is angular velocity.

5. How can I find a reliable source for the power equation?

You can find a reliable source for the power equation by referencing a reputable physics textbook or website, such as Khan Academy or HyperPhysics. You can also consult with a physics professor or expert in the field to confirm the accuracy of the equation.