Looking for Book and Lecture Recommendations for Analytical Mechanics and Waves?

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of recommended books and lectures for two physics courses: Analytical Mechanics and Waves. Recommendations include "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor, "Vibrations and Waves" by Walter Lewin, and "Vibrations and Waves" by A.P. French. The conversation also mentions that the Feynman lectures, which are now available for free online, are a valuable resource for physics students. The syllabus for the Waves course is also shared.
MMS
Hello everyone.

I'm taking two physics courses this semester. Analytical Mechanics and Waves. I was hoping if you guys could help me out a little and recommend some good books for both courses. Also, if you know good lectures that were recorded and I have access too (YouTube for example) I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

Any recommendations on Analytical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics by Taylor is a good choice.

Also, if you know good lectures that were recorded and I have access too (YouTube for example) I would really appreciate it.
Feynam worked on waves you should look at his lectures.

megatyler30 said:
Classical Mechanics by Taylor is a good choice.

Downloaded it. Thanks.

moriheru said:
Feynam worked on waves you should look at his lectures.

I didn't really find any lectures. :/

Does anyone known if "Vibrations and Waves" by Walter Lewin are at a quite high level of the course Waves or does it cover up the basic things?

No problem and the Feynman's lectures are books. And Vibrations and Wave is the 3rd physics class physics majors take. Give Vibrations and Waves by A.P. French a look to see the level.

megatyler30 said:
No problem and the Feynman's lectures are books. And Vibrations and Wave is the 3rd physics class physics majors take. Give Vibrations and Waves by A.P. French a look to see the level.

Haha, I thought you meant they were recorded since you quoted the part which says so. Anyway, I'm sure Feynman's book is good so I'll make sure to get that too.
I asked if Vibrations and Waves is suitable because Classical Mechanics and Electricity and Magnetism of Walter Lewin were at a pretty basic level (looks like it suits some types of engineering and other science majors that don't need to dig too deep in the material) compared to what my classes required. So, I'm not sure if watching them would be for actual studying or simply for extra knowledge and understanding which is always good..
Also, I'll check out the book of A.P. French. Thanks!

They are at a similar level, maybe slightly stepped up, but that's about it. A.P French would still probably be a good resource regardless since it's known to be his best work and can fill in any holes in your understand. Note though, it's the first physics class at MIT that is only required by physics majors, not everyone.

Oh, by the way, here's the syllabus if it helps you guys figure out what I need in Waves and what will help me out cover it:

1) Harmonic oscillators: free, forced, damped, coupled, normal mode, beats

2) Many Degrees of freedom: wave equation, transverse modes, Fourier analysis , non continues system.

3) One dimensional waves on a string: boundary conditions, complex notation, dispersion relation, phase velocity, Doppler Effect, energy flux, superposition of standing waves, superposition of traveling waves, impedance.

4) Reflection and Transmission: reflection and transmission from a barrier, Impedance matching, Brewster's angle.

5)Modulation, Pulses and wave packets: Fourier integrals, group velocity, Pulses, wave packets in a dispersive medium, uncertainty principle.

6) Waves in 2 and 3 dimensions: sound waves, standing waves on a membrane, surface waves in water, wave vector, mixed standing-traveling waves, spherical waves.

7) Interference and diffraction: interference between plane waves, standing waves, Huygens' principle, Snell's law, far field, Young slit, diffraction gratings, resolution.

8) EM waves: Refreshing Maxwell’s equations, radiation from a point charge and from a dipole, Rayleigh scattering.

megatyler30 said:
They are at a similar level, maybe slightly stepped up, but that's about it. A.P French would still probably be a good resource regardless since it's known to be his best work and can fill in any holes in your understand. Note though, it's the first physics class at MIT that is only required by physics majors, not everyone.

Nice, I didn't know that Vibrations and Waves was only for physics majors. I'll most probably watch them then with help from the books. :)

I've posted the syllabus of the course in case you wondered what it covers.

Thank you buddy!

The feynman lectrures are in book form to if that helps but very expensive. Every physicsct should have them.

moriheru said:
The feynman lectrures are in book form to if that helps but very expensive. Every physicsct should have them.
Now they are free and online
www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu

FAQ: Looking for Book and Lecture Recommendations for Analytical Mechanics and Waves?

1. What is Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical methods to study the motion and behavior of physical systems. It combines principles from classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, with advanced mathematical techniques to analyze and solve complex problems.

2. What are some real-world applications of Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics has a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, astrophysics, and biomechanics. It can be used to analyze the motion of objects in space, predict the behavior of mechanical systems, and study the movement of living organisms.

3. How does Analytical Mechanics differ from Newtonian Mechanics?

While Newtonian Mechanics focuses on the macroscopic behavior of objects, Analytical Mechanics takes a more mathematical approach and also considers microscopic forces and interactions between particles. It provides a more precise and comprehensive understanding of the motion of physical systems.

4. What is the wave-particle duality in Analytical Mechanics?

The wave-particle duality is a fundamental concept in Analytical Mechanics that describes the dual nature of particles and waves. It suggests that particles, such as electrons, can exhibit both particle-like and wave-like behavior, depending on the context in which they are observed.

5. How does Analytical Mechanics relate to other branches of physics?

Analytical Mechanics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding and solving problems in these fields, and many principles and equations from Analytical Mechanics are used in these areas of study.