Looking for confirmation on probability homework question?

In summary, the conversation was about a probability question involving choosing a group of people for a project. The question was about the probability of at least one woman being in the group, and there were some calculations and methods discussed to arrive at the correct answer. The final answer was 0.908 or 90.8%.
Topgun_68
Looking for confirmation on probability!

Sorry, posted in wrong forum. It was a probability question which is why I posted it here. Can someone move it to homework section if need be. Thanks!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone let me know if I am doing this correctly, because the answer I am getting seems to small. I thought the probability would be much higher since the woman out number the men by over 50% and we are just looking for 1.

Question: Suppose that a programming team has 17 women and 15 men. Three people must be chosen to work on a special project. What is the probability that the group selected has at least 1 women in it?

My work:

(17C1) -> To choose 1 women
(15C2) -> To choose 2 men
(32C3) -> Total groups of 3 among all people

(17C1)(15C2)
--------------
32C3 17 * 105
--------

----- = .360
4950 I've seem some examples where they subtract this answer from 1 which not looks more reasonable, but is it correct and can someone explain why?

ex.. 1 - .360 = .640

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Read the statement carefully: at least one woman.

Ahh, so would I use:

(17C1 + 17C2 + 17C3) / 32C3 to account for having 1,2 or 3 women chosen? Or would I have to account for the 8 possibilities of women/men?

Thanks for feedback. I hope this doesn't get deleted for my lack of reading. I was just getting ready to erase it and repost..

DrClaude said:
Read the statement carefully: at least one woman.

Topgun_68 said:
(17C1 + 17C2 + 17C3) / 32C3 to account for having 1,2 or 3 women chosen?
Not quite. If you have for instance exactly 2 women, is the number of possiblities 17C2? Aren't you forgetting something?

And this might be a good time to use the other method you mention: 1 - something.

I'm forgetting the men.. So would it be..

(17C1)(15C2) + (17C2)(15C1) + 17C3
-------------------------------------
32C3

I was thinking of subtracting the result from 1. Do I have to account for no women..

DrClaude said:
Not quite. If you have for instance exactly 2 women, is the number of possiblities 17C2? Aren't you forgetting something?

And this might be a good time to use the other method you mention: 1 - something.

Topgun_68 said:
I'm forgetting the men.. So would it be..

(17C1)(15C2) + (17C2)(15C1) + 17C3
-------------------------------------
32C3
Right.

Topgun_68 said:
I was thinking of subtracting the result from 1.
Why would you do that? Calculate the value numerically and see what makes sense. There is a way to calculate the initial problem as 1-something. Can you figure that one out?

Topgun_68 said:
Do I have to account for no women..
Account in what way?

Hmm, I think I got it now.

1 - ((15C3) / (32C3)) = .908

So calculate the probability of no women from the total, than subtract it from 1.

I calculated it my long way above and I get the same answer. Can you confirm this is correct :<)

Thanks for your help on this.
DrClaude said:
Right.

DrClaude said:
Right.Why would you do that? Calculate the value numerically and see what makes sense. There is a way to calculate the initial problem as 1-something. Can you figure that one out?Account in what way?

Topgun_68 said:
Hmm, I think I got it now.

1 - ((15C3) / (32C3)) = .908

So calculate the probability of no women from the total, than subtract it from 1.

I calculated it my long way above and I get the same answer. Can you confirm this is correct :<)
That is indeed correct.

Topgun_68 said:
Thanks for your help on this.
You're welcome!

Related to Looking for confirmation on probability homework question?

1. What is the formula for calculating probability?

The formula for calculating probability is: Probability = Number of Desired Outcomes / Total Number of Outcomes.

2. How do I know which formula to use for a specific probability question?

The formula to use depends on the type of probability question you are trying to solve. The three main types of probability are: Classical probability, Empirical probability, and Subjective probability. It is important to identify which type of probability the question falls under and use the appropriate formula.

3. Can you explain the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other's outcomes. This means that the outcome of one event does not impact the outcome of the other event. On the other hand, dependent events are events that have some influence on each other's outcomes. This means that the outcome of one event can affect the outcome of the other event.

4. How do I calculate the probability of multiple events occurring?

To calculate the probability of multiple events occurring, you need to use the multiplication rule. This rule states that the probability of two or more independent events occurring together is equal to the product of their individual probabilities. For dependent events, the conditional probability formula can be used.

5. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is the probability that is calculated based on mathematical principles and assumptions. This type of probability is used for predicting the likelihood of an event occurring in an ideal situation. On the other hand, experimental probability is the probability that is obtained through experimentation or observation. This type of probability is used to estimate the likelihood of an event based on real-life data.

Back