Looking for help improving 3d printed sharpie-shooter design

gmuir593
TL;DR Summary
I’m printing a small carrying case for art supplies and want to incorporate a sharpie dispenser/launcher. A spring loaded mechanism with two buttons for easy dispensing or missile launching the sharpie. I have a prototype but I feel like it could be improved. Apologies for the pictures and their awful display of the contraption’s insides.
C7292D15-246A-4A5F-9C7F-BA3D1C0E7DFB.jpeg
6EB0F373-BEA2-49D4-BADF-3CE1E4607514.jpeg
227126FC-92FD-4D5F-8A35-90092FDB7859.png

The first button releases the front slider which slides through a key way in the lever while it unclamps the sharpie - the lever is supposed to clamp down on the sharpie but just doesn’t. The first slider has a spring inside and is released in the second picture. The second button pushes down on the first and releases the two bigger springs along with the front slider.

I’m mainly looking for a more robust and reliable releasing mechanism and maybe a way to make more power in the shooting mechanism without the whole assembly being more than 17mm. It can shoot about 2ft straight up and I want to get that to 4ft without things breaking (it’s a gift for my dad so I want him to be able to shoot my younger siblings from reasonable distances). It can be as long or as tall as it needs to be. Any ideas on different or more efficient mechanisms would be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
D2DE3159-2E2A-48A4-AB3D-10F0DE64E283.jpeg

This may help

1720925325804.png

Likes gmuir593
gmuir593 said:
(it’s a gift for my dad so I want him to be able to shoot my younger siblings from reasonable distances)
Sounds like a loving family. I'd recommend taking up paintball competitions instead as a family activity. Due to several reports, this thread will be closed now.

• Skeptical
Likes sophiecentaur