Looking for in-depth book(s) about the physics of projectiles?

In summary, a student is seeking suggestions for textbooks on the topic of projectile physics for their project. They mention the specific focus on air resistance and ask for recommendations at a suitable level. They also mention a potential book called "[Something] Structures" and request the full title and author's name. Another person suggests checking out the website www.trebuchet.com for more in-depth information on the physics involved in projectile motion.
jeebs
Hi,
I am currently on the 3rd year of a 4 year physics degree, and I have a project for the semester entitled "The Physics of Projectiles". I am in need of suggestions for textbooks where I can get some good info on this topic.

It is going to involve making things like catapults, crossbows, etc. and is going to take into account air resistance, which most textbooks don't seem to do when addressing projectile motion.

So, if anyone can reccomend to me any good books of a suitable level for what I need, I would be very grateful. I was actually shown what looked like a good book on this topic, the title of which was "[Something] Structures", but I can't remember what the author's name was. If anyone knows what this book's full title and author's name is, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get a book from this website.
http://www.trebuchet.com/
These trebuchets have a lot more physics than other methods of projecting arrows, stones, etc.
Bob S

Dear student,

Thank you for your inquiry about finding in-depth books on the physics of projectiles. I understand the importance of thorough research and reliable sources when it comes to any project or study. I would be happy to provide some recommendations for textbooks that may be helpful for your project.

Firstly, I would suggest "Projectile Dynamics in Sport: Principles and Applications" by Martin Kilgallon. This book offers a comprehensive understanding of projectile motion in sports, including the effects of air resistance. It also includes real-life examples and practical applications, which may be useful for your project.

Another excellent resource is "The Physics of Sports" by Angelo Armenti Jr. This book covers a wide range of topics related to the physics of sports, including projectile motion and air resistance. It also includes detailed explanations and equations, making it a valuable reference for your project.

For a more advanced and in-depth approach, I would recommend "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. This textbook covers all the fundamental principles of classical mechanics, including projectile motion and air resistance. It may be a bit more challenging, but it will provide a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and principles.

Lastly, the book you mentioned, "Projectile Structures" by John D. Reid, may also be a helpful resource for your project. It covers the structural dynamics of projectiles and their interactions with the environment, including air resistance.

I hope these suggestions will be helpful in your search for in-depth books on the physics of projectiles. Good luck with your project! Remember to always consult with your professor or advisor for additional guidance and recommendations. Keep up the curiosity and passion for science!

Best regards,

Related to Looking for in-depth book(s) about the physics of projectiles?

1. What is the definition of a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is propelled through the air by a force and continues to move due to its inertia.

2. What are the factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion and slows it down. This force increases as the velocity of the projectile increases.

4. What is the difference between a projectile in a vacuum and a projectile in air?

A projectile in a vacuum experiences no air resistance, so its trajectory is only affected by gravity. In contrast, a projectile in air experiences air resistance, which can significantly alter its trajectory.

5. How can the equations of motion be used to analyze the motion of a projectile?

The equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, can be used to calculate the velocity, displacement, and time of a projectile at any point in its trajectory. They can also be used to predict the maximum height and range of a projectile.