Looking for online study partners

• Thread starter dustbin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the speaker is enrolled in two independent study courses for the semester, one on Spivak's Calculus and the other on Artin's Algebra. They are looking for study partners and have a group study page set up on Facebook. They have some experience in rigorous treatments of the subjects and will have taken rigorous Calc 3 by the start of the semester. The speaker plans to start Spivak sooner and is not interested in being in a physical study group. They suggest checking an online forum for study resources.
dustbin
This semester I am enrolled in two independent study courses, one based on Spivak's Calculus and the other on Artin's Algebra. Since I'll be going at them alone (with some help from my supervising instructor), I'd like to see if anyone would like to work through either of them with me. I'm going to be using Spivak's 3rd Ed. text and Artin's 1st Ed. I would like to go through Spivak in order and attempt to do all of the problems. I'm basing my study of Artin on Harvard's Math 122.

Feel free to shoot me a message. A few of us had a group study page on facebook set up so that we may communicate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Algebra & Calculus on same time. Seems Horrible! (Kindly give detail 1 Semester = 6 months / 4 months in US)

I have some experience in rigorous treatments of each (a good chunk of Apostol, for instance)... and I will have taken rigorous Calc 3 by the start of the semester. A lot of Spivak will be review, but I want to work through the problems and his appendices in particular. I confess that Artin will be brutal.

As for time frame... my school is on semester of ~18 weeks. I may start Spivak sooner, though (classes are supposed to start Jan 28).

Well, I am not going to be in your study-group. Online study-groups helps much. Also check here,http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=218

I commend your proactive approach to seeking out study partners for your independent study courses. Collaborative learning can be a valuable tool in understanding complex concepts and problem-solving in mathematics. I would suggest reaching out to your classmates or peers who may also be enrolled in these courses, as they may be interested in joining your study group.

In addition, I would also recommend using online resources such as forums or discussion boards specific to Spivak's Calculus and Artin's Algebra to connect with other students who are studying these texts. This can provide a larger pool of potential study partners and allow for diverse perspectives and approaches to problem-solving.

Lastly, I would encourage you to utilize your supervising instructor as a resource and guide in your independent study. They can provide valuable insight and feedback as you work through the material and tackle challenging problems.

Overall, I believe that your initiative in seeking out study partners and utilizing various resources will greatly benefit your understanding and mastery of these courses. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Looking for online study partners

What is the benefit of having online study partners?

Having online study partners can provide many benefits, such as increasing accountability, improving understanding of difficult topics, and enhancing motivation and productivity. It also allows for collaboration and sharing of resources.

How can I find online study partners?

There are various ways to find online study partners, such as through online forums, social media groups, or university websites. You can also reach out to classmates or friends who are studying the same subject as you.

What should I look for in an online study partner?

When looking for an online study partner, it is important to find someone who is reliable, committed, and has a similar study schedule and goals as you. It can also be beneficial to find someone who has different strengths and weaknesses, so you can complement each other's learning.

How can I effectively communicate with my online study partners?

To effectively communicate with your online study partners, it is important to establish clear expectations, set a regular schedule for meetings or discussions, and use effective online communication tools such as video calls or messaging apps. It is also important to be respectful and open to different ideas and perspectives.

What are some tips for successful online studying with partners?

To have a successful experience studying online with partners, it is important to establish a clear study plan, set specific goals, and hold each other accountable. It can also be helpful to use online study tools and resources, such as virtual whiteboards or online flashcards. Additionally, make sure to communicate regularly and openly with your study partners to ensure that everyone is on the same page and working towards the same goals.