Looking for some math software

• Thread starter Chas3down
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, there are several software programs available for writing out equations with proper math symbols, such as MathType, LaTeX, TexWorks, and Scientific Notebook/Word. These programs offer convenient features like drag-and-drop symbols, customizable shortcut keys, and the ability to draw equations on a Windows pad and convert them to LaTeX.
Chas3down
I am looking to be able to do my homework on the computer instead of writing it. I really hate writing out homework, erasing it, etc..

Does anyone know of any software I am able to write out equations with proper math symbols? (not looking for a word plugin, a completely standalone program.) I would like the program to be easy to navigate as well, do not want to spend to much extra time doing it on the computer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chas3down said:
I am looking to be able to do my homework on the computer instead of writing it. I really hate writing out homework, erasing it, etc..

Does anyone know of any software I am able to write out equations with proper math symbols? (not looking for a word plugin, a completely standalone program.) I would like the program to be easy to navigate as well, do not want to spend to much extra time doing it on the computer.

I recommend MathType. It allows you to just drag the symbols from a template, use the shortcut keys (I think you can customize that), or use LaTex if you know. Pretty convenient.

Last edited:
I typeset all of my assignments in LaTeX; I find it to be much faster than writing them out by hand.

Number Nine said:
I typeset all of my assignments in LaTeX; I find it to be much faster than writing them out by hand.

Hi Number Nine,

I tried to look into that myself but am too confused about the different programs required to work together and what to install and how to configure. So far, I gave-up and just use TextAid and Jarte or post onto the forum between tags. I'm always interested in any clarification anyone can give about LaTeX.

symbolipoint said:
Hi Number Nine,

I tried to look into that myself but am too confused about the different programs required to work together and what to install and how to configure. So far, I gave-up and just use TextAid and Jarte or post onto the forum between tags. I'm always interested in any clarification anyone can give about LaTeX.

The easiest way to get started, I think, would be be to pick up TexWorks. This gives you a pretty simple environment for creating your documents: You write your code in one window, and then the press of a button compiles and displays it in another window. As for learning the language itself (it's not very difficult), you can find hundreds of tutorials with a quick google search. There's a pretty comprehensive one here...

http://www.tug.org/twg/mactex/tutorials/ltxprimer-1.0.pdf

If you have a recent version of ms word, you won't need any plugin. It has a robust built-in equation system and tons of symbols to choose from as well as templates for all sorts of equations, superscripts, subscripts, etc.

You might try a free month trial of Scientific Notebook or Scientific Word from

http://www.mackichan.com/

Either of those will let you try to accomplish what you want to do.

Okay thanks for the replies! I am going to check out all these programs..

Btw, anyone know a program where I can draw out equations(on a windows pad) and it converts it to neat looking equations for latex, etc..?

Last edited:
Chas3down said:
Btw, anyone know a program where I can draw out equations(on a windows pad) and it converts it to neat looking equations for latex, etc..?

MathType claims to be able to do that, but I haven't found out how to use it yet, despite using the software for some time already.

Related to Looking for some math software

What is the best math software available?

The best math software available will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple.

What features should I look for in math software?

When looking for math software, you should consider the types of math problems it can solve, its user-friendliness, available resources and support, and its cost.

Do I need to be an expert in math to use math software?

No, you do not need to be an expert in math to use math software. Many programs have user-friendly interfaces and provide resources to help users with varying levels of math knowledge.

Is there free math software available?

Yes, there are many free math software options available, such as GeoGebra, Desmos, and Octave. However, they may have limited features compared to paid software.

Can math software be used for any type of math problem?

It depends on the specific software. Some programs specialize in certain types of math problems, while others have a broader range of capabilities. It is important to research and choose a software that aligns with your specific needs.