Looking for supplements like "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations"

In summary: Thanks for the suggestion!In summary, the conversation discusses a physics major's love for A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations and their search for similar books in other branches of physics. Several suggestions are made, including A Student's Guide to Waves by Fleisch, A Student's Guide to Lagrangians and Hamiltonians by Hamill, A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors by Fleisch, A Student's Guide to Entropy by Lemons, and Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus by Schey. The Demystified series, particularly the books written by McMahon, is also recommended.
Amrator
A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations by Daniel Fleisch is the best physics book I've ever read. I just love the way it analyzes each equation. I'm looking for other books/supplements similar to it for the other branches of physics (Quantum Mechanics, Thermodynamics/Statistical Mechanics, Classical Mechanics).

I'm a physics major. I have taken linear algebra, differential equations, and mathematical methods for physics students.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amrator said:
A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations by Daniel Fleisch is the best physics book I've ever read. I just love the way it analyzes each equation. I'm looking for other books/supplements similar to it for the other branches of physics (Quantum Mechanics, Thermodynamics/Statistical Mechanics, Classical Mechanics).

I'm a physics major. I have taken linear algebra, differential equations, and mathematical methods for physics students.

A Student's Guide to Waves by Fleisch

A Student's Guide to Lagrangians and Hamiltonians by Hamill

A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors Fleisch

A Student's Guide to Entropy by Lemons

Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus by Schey

Full Disclosure: Contrary to the common sentiment here, I am not fond of any of these books including the one OP mentioned :)

Likes Demystifier
Amrator said:

You might also like the Demystified series, especially the books which are written by McMahon
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-ultimate-demystifier.871588/

Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
You might also like the Demystified series, especially the books which are written by McMahon
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-ultimate-demystifier.871588/
Interesting. I always avoided those books because I assumed they were in similar fashion to the "For Dummies" series. Also the bad reviews didn't help in persuading me, but I'll be sure to check out the quantum one.

Related to Looking for supplements like "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations"

1. What are supplements for "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations"?

Supplements for "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations" refer to additional materials or resources that can help students better understand and apply the concepts in the guide. These can include practice problems, interactive simulations, video tutorials, and other study aids.

2. Where can I find supplements for "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations"?

You can find supplements for "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations" on various websites, such as educational platforms, online bookstores, or the publisher's website. You can also ask your instructor or classmates for recommendations.

3. How can supplements enhance my understanding of "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations"?

Supplements can provide additional explanations, examples, and practice opportunities that can deepen your understanding of the concepts in "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations". They can also offer different perspectives and approaches to solving problems, which can improve your problem-solving skills.

4. Are supplements necessary for understanding "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations"?

No, supplements are not necessary for understanding "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations". The guide itself is a comprehensive resource that covers the essential concepts and principles. However, supplements can be helpful in reinforcing your understanding and providing extra practice.

5. Can supplements replace studying "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations"?

No, supplements cannot replace studying "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations". The guide should still be your primary source of information and understanding. Supplements can only serve as additional tools to enhance your learning experience.