Looking to teach myself C, where do I start?

• Thread starter btbam91
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation recommends using Code::Blocks or MSVC 2010 for learning C, and suggests cprogramming.com and the book "The C Programming Language" as good resources. It also mentions Pelles C and gcc as reliable compilers, and suggests using a text editor like Geany. The conversation also encourages starting with C as it is considered the foundation of all languages.
btbam91
As the title states, I am looking to learn C. What software do I download to start with? Also, what are good text/video tutorials that I can learn from?

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
I recommend Code::Blocks. Although, if you would rather learn C++ and have a decent speed computer and don't mind proprietary freeware, I would recommend you go with MSVC 2010. The only advantage, IMO, to MSVC is the real time error highlighting. The advantage to CB, for learning C, is that it(well... the compiler it comes with, to be exact) supports a much later version of C than MSVC.

As for tutorials, it depends on your taste, and how you learn. The ones at cprogramming.com are pretty good, I used them. Try to work your way down this list of tutorials, and come back with anything you get stuck on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

This book is regarded pretty highly in the world of C. I taught myself C with it, even though when I did, I had an understanding of C++.

The compiler I use for C is Pelles C and have had no problems with it yet, it is very similar to Visual Studio 2008, which is used for C++.

For books, I really like the classic K&R. As for a compiler, if you are on Linux/BSD, gcc is pretty much the standard.

Thanks for the info guys! Time to start my research!

I would say go with C. It's the mother of all languages and is more "techy" than C++ as it's not object oriented.

All you need to start is the gcc compiler and any text editor. I use geany on my ubuntu.

FAQ: Looking to teach myself C, where do I start?

1. What is the best way to learn C programming?

The best way to learn C programming is to start with the basics and gradually build your knowledge and skills. This can be achieved through online tutorials, books, and practice exercises. It is also helpful to join a community or forum where you can ask questions and get feedback from other learners.

2. Do I need any prior programming knowledge to learn C?

While having prior programming knowledge can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn C. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions can make it easier to learn C.

3. Are there any specific tools or software I need to learn C?

To learn C, you will need a text editor to write your code and a compiler to convert your code into a program that can be run. Some popular text editors for C programming include Sublime Text, Atom, and Visual Studio Code. As for compilers, there are many options available such as GCC, Clang, and Turbo C.

4. How long does it take to learn C?

The time it takes to learn C will vary depending on your previous programming experience and how much time you dedicate to learning. Some people may be able to grasp the basics in a few weeks, while others may take several months to become proficient. Consistent practice and dedication are key to learning C.

5. What are some good resources for learning C?

There are many resources available for learning C, such as online tutorials, books, and coding communities. Some popular online tutorials include Codeacademy, W3Schools, and Learn-C.org. Books like "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie are also highly recommended for beginners. Additionally, joining online forums and communities, such as Reddit's r/C_Programming, can be a great way to learn from experienced programmers and get help with any questions you may have.

Back