Loop-the-Loop: Net Force on a Ball Moving on a Vertical Loop

In summary, the problem involves a small ball sliding along a frictionless loop-the-loop with a radius of 0.200 m. The ball has a mass of 0.150 kg and is moving upward with a speed of 2.00 m/s. The question asks for the magnitude of the net force acting on the ball when it is on the right side and half-way up the loop. To solve this, the equations F=ma and centripetal acceleration=v^2/r are used. However, care must be taken to consider the direction of the forces acting on the ball. The correct answer is 3.34 N.
KCEWMG

Homework Statement

A small ball of mass m = 0.150 kg is sliding along a frictionless loop-the-loop. The loop-the-loop is standing on a table such that the plane of the loop is vertical. The loop has a radius of r = 0.200 m. What is the magnitude of the net force acting on the ball when it is on the right side and half-way up the loop, and moving upward with a speed of 2.00 m/s?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Centripetal Acceleration= v^2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, here's what I've tried:
I drew a free body diagram. Facing down, I put 9.8*.150=1.47 thinking about the gravitational force. I then used the Centripetal Acceleration equation,t (2.00^2)/.2, which resulted in 20. I then multiplied this by the mass and got 3. 3-1.47 is equal to 1.53 N, which is not the correct answer. The correct answer is 3.34 N.
Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey KCEWMG.
I think I have the solution. You're trying to add/subtract the forces acting on the ball to get the overall/resulting force acting on it, however the forces aren't collinear, therefore you can't do that. Draw you're free body diagram, with mg in the negative y direction, and the force due to the centripetal acceleration in another direction (think about it, it's always accelerating towards the centre of the of the loop-to-loop).

Hope this helps.

Ahh, gotcha.
CENTRIPETAL Acceleration. Thanks!

Related to Loop-the-Loop: Net Force on a Ball Moving on a Vertical Loop

What is Loop-the-Loop in physics?

Loop-the-Loop, also known as a vertical loop, is a type of motion in which an object travels in a circular path with its center of rotation above the object's center of mass. It is commonly seen in roller coasters and other amusement park rides.

What is net force in physics?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object. It is the sum of all the individual forces acting on the object, taking into account their direction and magnitude. It is typically measured in Newtons (N).

How does net force affect Loop-the-Loop?

In order for an object to successfully complete a Loop-the-Loop, the net force acting on the object must be greater than or equal to the centripetal force required to keep the object in circular motion. This means that the net force must be enough to overcome the force of gravity pulling the object downward.

What happens if the net force is too low in a Loop-the-Loop?

If the net force is too low, the object will not have enough speed to complete the Loop-the-Loop and will fall back down the track. This is because the force of gravity will be greater than the net force, causing the object to lose contact with the track and fall.

Can the net force be too high in a Loop-the-Loop?

Yes, the net force can be too high in a Loop-the-Loop. If the net force is too high, the object will have a larger centripetal force than is necessary to maintain circular motion. This can cause the object to accelerate too quickly, potentially causing discomfort or injury to the rider.