Lorentz Force & Frame Changes: Explaining E & B Fields

In summary, in the conversation, it is discussed that in frame 1, there is a neutral current-carrying wire with a +x and -x line charge and an electron that is deflected due to the Lorentz force. In frame 2, there is an E field present due to the length contraction of the wire, which causes an excess of charge and is responsible for the Lorentz force on the electron. The B field is not the only factor at play and the E field is necessary to understand the deflection of the electron.
cragar
Lets say in frame 1 I have a neutral current carrying wire that has a +x line charge and a -x line charge and they have a relative speed between them. So In frame 1 there is only a B field. And in frame 1 we also have an electron moving with respect to the wire, so the electron is deflected because of the Lorentz force. Ok now we look at it from the electrons rest frame, called frame 2.
In frame 2 there is now an E field because the charge densities have changed because of length contraction. But in frame 2 why couldn't I say that the B field is moving toward the electron and that is why it got deflected. Like if I had a square loop of wire and It was moving at a constant speed into a region with a B field. When the square loop entered the B field, electrons will start to flow because of the Lorentz force. But if I look at this in the square loops rest frame it would appear that the region with the B field is moving towards the loop. Why do I need to talk about an E field. I know there is no force if v=0 but it seems like we have a relative speed in both cases.

Physics news on Phys.org
A:In frame 2 the electron is at rest and the current carrying wire has a length contracted in the direction of motion. The electrons that are moving in frame 1 which causes the B field, have a shorter path to travel in frame 2 and therefore there is an excess of positive charge on one side of the wire, and an excess of negative charge on the other side. This excess of charge cause the E field in frame 2. This is why you need to talk about the E field. The E field is what causes the Lorentz force on the electron.

FAQ: Lorentz Force & Frame Changes: Explaining E & B Fields

What is the Lorentz force?

The Lorentz force is the force experienced by a charged particle in an electromagnetic field. It is the combination of the electric and magnetic forces on the particle.

How does the Lorentz force affect particles in motion?

The Lorentz force causes charged particles to change direction and accelerate when they are moving through an electromagnetic field. The direction and magnitude of the force is dependent on the velocity of the particle and the strength of the electric and magnetic fields.

What is the relationship between E and B fields in the Lorentz force?

The electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of motion of the charged particle. The electric field is responsible for the force on the particle in the direction of the field, while the magnetic field is responsible for the force perpendicular to both the field and the particle's motion.

How does the Lorentz force change in different frames of reference?

The Lorentz force is dependent on the relative motion between the charged particle and the electromagnetic field. In different frames of reference, the velocity of the particle and the strength and direction of the fields may appear different, but the resulting force on the particle will remain the same.

What is the significance of the Lorentz force in understanding electricity and magnetism?

The Lorentz force is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and helps explain the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of charged particles in a variety of real-world applications, such as electric motors and particle accelerators.

Back