Lorentz gamma factor in a decay of arbitrary leptons

In summary, the Lorentz gamma factor in the decay K^+ \rightarrow l^+ \nu_l can be written as \gamma = \frac{m_K^2 + m_l^2}{2m_K m_l}, where nu is either e or mu. The proof involves using the invariant of the energy-momentum relation and solving for the momentum of the particles involved. The final result is obtained by correctly solving for the momentum and applying it to the energy equation.
Ai52487963

Homework Statement

Show that the Lorentz gamma factor in the decay

[tex]K^+ \rightarrow l^+ \nu_l[/tex]

can be written as

[tex]\gamma = \frac{m_K^2 + m_l^2}{2m_K m_l}[/tex]

where nu is either e or mu.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on a part of the proof. I think I understand most of it, except for one crucial part:

So I'm starting with the invariant and listing out the energies of the particles involved:

[tex]E^2 - \textbf{p}^2c^2 = m^2c^4[/tex]

Energy of the Kaon (at rest initially)
[tex]E_k = m_K c^2[/tex]

Energy of subsequent decay particles, ignoring the leftover mass that is the UC(bar). I don't really know why, but it seems like its pertinent to ignore that for now. So for the arbitrary lepton:
[tex]E_l = c (m_l^2 c^2 + \textbf{p}_l^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

and the arbitrary associated nutrino we have:
[tex]E_{\nu} = |\textbf{p}_{\nu}|c = |\textbf{p}_l|c[/tex]

Now we know that the rest energy of the Kaon is going to be equal to the energies of the lepton plus neutrino (easy stuff)

[tex]m_K c^2 = c (m_l^2 c^2 + \textbf{p}_l^2)^{1/2} + |\textbf{p}_l|c[/tex]

Now subtracting the momentum term to the other side, dividing by c and squaring:

[tex](m_K c - |\textbf{p}_l|)^2= m_l^2 c^2 + \textbf{p}_l^2 [/tex]

and solving for the momentum gives:

[tex]|\textbf{p}_l| = \frac{m_K^2 - m_l^2}{2 m_K}c[/tex]

Here's where I get into trouble. I know from a problem in Griffiths that for this kind of decay, velocity of the lepton is given by:

[tex]\frac{v}{c} = \frac{m_K^2 - m_l^2}{m_K^2 + m_l^2}[/tex]

and that the lorentz factor:

[tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{(1- \left( \frac{v}{c} \right )^2)^{1/2}}[/tex]

when you slap in that v, becomes:

[tex]\gamma = \frac{m_K^2 + m_l^2}{\left( (m_K^2 +m_l^2)^2 - (m_K^2 - m_l^2)^2 \right)^{1/2}}[/tex]

which reduces to:

[tex]\gamma = \frac{m_K^2 + m_l^2}{2m_K m_l}[/tex]

which is what I set out to prove.

I don't get this step:

[tex]|\textbf{p}_K| = \frac{m_K^2 - m_l^2}{2m_K} c \rightarrow \frac{m_K^2 - m_l^2}{m_k^2 + m_l^2}c[/tex]

Doing that seems like an easy way to solve the problem, but ignores the fact that the kaon mass is NOT half of the kaon squared plus the lepton squared (or is it?). Plus there's the issue of the units.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not really sure why you are mixing results from two different problems. If you solve the problem correctly then you should get the final velocity directly; you don't need to find it out from somewhere else. Now, in this case it seems unnecessary. The total energy of the lepton is [itex]E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4 = \gamma^2 m^2 c^4[/itex], so once you have correctly obtained the momentum it should be fairly straightforward to determine the Lorentz factor.

Related to Lorentz gamma factor in a decay of arbitrary leptons

1. What is the Lorentz gamma factor in a decay of arbitrary leptons?

The Lorentz gamma factor is a term used in special relativity to describe the relationship between the velocity of an object and the rate at which time passes for that object. It is denoted by the symbol γ and is equal to 1/√(1-v²/c²), where v is the velocity of the object and c is the speed of light. In the decay of arbitrary leptons, the Lorentz gamma factor is used to calculate the energy and momentum of the decay products.

2. How is the Lorentz gamma factor related to the speed of light?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a constant in the theory of special relativity. It is used in the formula for the Lorentz gamma factor, which describes the relationship between an object's velocity and the rate at which time passes for that object. As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, the Lorentz gamma factor approaches infinity.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz gamma factor in the decay of leptons?

In the decay of leptons, the Lorentz gamma factor is used to calculate the energy and momentum of the decay products. This is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators.

4. Can the Lorentz gamma factor be greater than 1?

Yes, the Lorentz gamma factor can be greater than 1. In fact, when an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, the Lorentz gamma factor approaches infinity. This is a key concept in special relativity and is used to explain phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

5. How is the Lorentz gamma factor derived?

The Lorentz gamma factor is derived from the Lorentz transformation equations, which describe how the measurements of time and space differ between two observers in relative motion. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity and is derived from the principles of the theory, such as the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity.