Lorentz Generators, Srednicki eq. 2.13

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of eq 2.13 in srednicki, which involves the expansion and comparison of linear terms in various equations. The conversation also mentions the use of U(\Lambda)^{-1}U(\Lambda)^{*}U(\Lambda) and U(1+ \delta \omega) to solve the equation and how the user is close to solving it. A link to a forum post is also provided for further discussion.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hello, I am trying to prove eq 2.13 in srednicki:

[tex]\delta \omega _{\mu\nu}U(\Lambda)^{-1}M^{\mu\nu}U(\Lambda) = \delta \omega _{\mu\nu}\Lambda^\mu{}_{\rho}\Lambda^\nu{}_{\sigma}M^{\rho\sigma}[/tex]

where we have expanded the following and comparing the linear term:

[tex]U(\Lambda)^{-1}U(\Lambda)^{*}U(\Lambda) = U(\Lambda^{-1}\Lambda ^{*}\Lambda) [/tex]

and

[tex]\Lambda^{*} = 1 +\omega [/tex]

(omega is of course antisymmetric)

and

[tex]U(1+ \delta \omega ) = I + \dfrac{i}{2}\delta \omega _{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

Now I get something like:

[tex]\delta \omega _{\mu\nu}U(\Lambda)^{-1}M^{\mu\nu}U(\Lambda) = U(1+\Lambda^{-1}\delta \omega\Lambda )[/tex]

by just straightforward computation of
[tex]U(\Lambda^{-1}\Lambda ^{*}\Lambda) [/tex]

and now I am stuck badly :-(

Physics news on Phys.org
update: I am very close to solve it =D

Related to Lorentz Generators, Srednicki eq. 2.13

1. What are Lorentz generators?

Lorentz generators are mathematical operators that describe the transformations between different frames of reference in special relativity. They are used to calculate how physical quantities, such as position and momentum, change when observed from different reference frames.

2. How are Lorentz generators related to Srednicki eq. 2.13?

Srednicki eq. 2.13 is a specific equation that describes the Lorentz generators in terms of the generators of infinitesimal rotations and boosts. This equation is used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of particles at high speeds and in different frames of reference.

3. What is the significance of Srednicki eq. 2.13?

Srednicki eq. 2.13 is significant because it allows for the calculation of Lorentz generators, which are essential in understanding the principles of special relativity. This equation is also used in various theoretical models, such as quantum field theory, to describe the behavior of particles in high-energy environments.

4. How do Lorentz generators impact our understanding of space and time?

Lorentz generators are crucial in our understanding of space and time because they allow for the reconciliation of seemingly contradictory concepts, such as time dilation and length contraction, in special relativity. They also help us understand the effects of high-speed travel and the interplay between space and time in different reference frames.

5. Can Lorentz generators be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, Lorentz generators have applications in various areas of science, such as particle physics, cosmology, and astrophysics. They are also used in engineering and technology, particularly in the design of high-speed transportation systems and GPS technology.