Lorentz transformation matrix applied to EM field tensor

In summary: I'm not sure what the counterpart would be for a rotation, though.In summary, the lecturer derives the Lorentz transformation matrix for the four vector of position and time. Then, apparently without proof, the same matrix is used to transform the EM field tensor to the tensor for the new inertial frame. I am unclear whether it should be obvious (if so why?) that the two are the same or whether the proof is non trivial (sketch of proof would help).
qtm912
In a recent course on special relativity the lecturer derives the Lorentz transformation matrix for the four vector of position and time. Then, apparently without proof, the same matrix is used to transform the EM field tensor to the tensor for the new inertial frame. I am unclear whether it should be obvious (if so why?) that the two are the same or whether the proof is non trivial (sketch of proof would help) and was just omitted.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are asking. What do you want a proof of and what do you think should or should not be the same under the Lorentz transformation? If ##F_{\mu\nu}## are the components of the EM field tensor and ##\Lambda_{\mu\nu}## are the components of the Lorentz transformation then the components of the EM field tensor transform as ##F_{\mu'\nu'} = \Lambda^{\alpha}_{\mu'}\Lambda^{\beta}_{\nu'}F_{\alpha\beta}##. The components ##F_{\mu'\nu'}## are not in general the same as the components ##F_{\mu\nu}## if that is what you are asking.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the components of the transformed field tensor will be different. What I was unclear about is why the lambda matrix is the same for the EM field as it is for the position four vector.

I was puzzled by the mention of a position vector.

It follows from ##F_{\mu'\nu'} = \Lambda^{\alpha}_{\mu'}\Lambda^{\beta}_{\nu'}F_{\alpha\beta}## that ##F^{\mu'\nu'}F_{\mu'\nu'}=F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}##

If we have a coordinate transformation ##x^{\mu}\rightarrow x^{\mu'}## then the components of all tensors ##T^{a_1...a_n}_{b_1...b_m}## will transform as [tex]T^{\mu_1'...\mu_n'}_{\nu_1'...\nu_m'} = \frac{\partial x^{\mu_{1}'}}{\partial x^{\mu_{1}}}...\frac{\partial x^{\mu_{n}'}}{\partial x^{\mu_{n}}}\frac{\partial x^{\nu_{1}}}{\partial x^{\nu_{1}'}}...\frac{\partial x^{\nu_{n}}}{\partial x^{\nu_{m}'}}T^{\mu_1...\mu_n}_{\nu_1...\nu_m}[/tex]

So if we map ##x^{\mu}\rightarrow x^{\mu'} = \Lambda^{\mu'}_{\nu}x^{\nu}##, where ##\Lambda^{\mu'}_{\nu}## are the components of the Lorentz transformation, then [tex]\frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\mu'}} = \frac{\partial }{\partial x^{\mu'}}(\Lambda^{\alpha}_{\nu'}x^{\nu'}) = \Lambda^{\alpha}_{\nu'}\delta^{\nu'}_{\mu'} = \Lambda^{\alpha}_{\mu'}[/tex] thus [tex]F_{\mu'\nu'} = \frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\mu'}}\frac{\partial x^{\beta}}{\partial x^{\nu'}}F_{\alpha\beta} = \Lambda^{\alpha}_{\mu'}\Lambda^{\beta}_{\nu'}F_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. Thank you for clarifying and sorry if the initial question was unclear.

qtm912 said:
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. Thank you for clarifying and sorry if the initial question was unclear.
No problem mate! Feel free to ask any further questions you may have.

Dear Mentz
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I meant coordinate transformation and I should not have mentioned the position vector. Anyway you have both addressed my question, thanks for that.

That's quite an elegant solution.

Related to Lorentz transformation matrix applied to EM field tensor

What is the Lorentz transformation matrix?

The Lorentz transformation matrix is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to describe the relationship between two frames of reference moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. It allows for the transformation of coordinates, velocities, and other physical quantities between these frames.

What is the EM field tensor?

The EM field tensor, also known as the electromagnetic field tensor or the electromagnetic tensor, is a mathematical construct used in electromagnetism to describe the properties of the electromagnetic field. It combines the electric and magnetic fields into a single tensor and allows for a unified description of electromagnetic phenomena.

How is the Lorentz transformation matrix applied to the EM field tensor?

The Lorentz transformation matrix is used to transform the components of the EM field tensor from one frame of reference to another. This allows for the description of the electromagnetic field in different reference frames, taking into account the effects of special relativity.

What are the benefits of using the Lorentz transformation matrix in the context of the EM field tensor?

Using the Lorentz transformation matrix allows for a consistent and accurate description of the electromagnetic field in different reference frames, taking into account the effects of special relativity. It also simplifies calculations and allows for a unified description of electromagnetic phenomena.

Are there any limitations to using the Lorentz transformation matrix applied to the EM field tensor?

The Lorentz transformation matrix is only applicable in the context of special relativity, which assumes that the frames of reference are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. It also does not account for the effects of gravity, which are described by general relativity.