Lorentz Transformation of f(x,t)+g(x,t) - Does the Order Matter?

• Thread starter Spinnor
  • Start date
In summary, the order of operation does not matter when performing the Lorentz Transformation on Ψ+ and Ψ-.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Suppose I have a pair of solutions of the one dimensional massless complex wave equation in 1+1 dimensional spacetime, solutions with equal and opposite momentum in some rest frame,

Ψ+ = exp[-i(Et+px)]
Ψ- = exp[-i(Et-px)]

Does it matter if

1) I sum Ψ+ and Ψ- and then preform a Lorentz Transformation, or
2) preform the Lorentz Transformation, L.T., on Ψ+ and Ψ- and then sum?

L. T. [f(x,t)+g(x,t)] = [L.T. f(x,t)]+[L.T. g(x,t)] ?

I think the answer is it should not matter the order of operation but I am having trouble simplifying my algebra. Just wondering if there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

I can confirm that it does not matter which order you perform the operations in. The Lorentz Transformation is a linear operation, which means that it follows the principle of superposition. This means that the transformation of a sum is equal to the sum of the transformations. In other words, the order in which you perform the operations does not change the final result.

To simplify your algebra, you can use the fact that the Lorentz Transformation of a complex exponential function is also a complex exponential function with the same frequency and wave vector, but with a different phase factor. This means that you can write the transformation of Ψ+ and Ψ- as:

L.T. [Ψ+] = exp[-i(E' t'+p'x')] = exp[-i(Et+px+iθ)] = exp[-i(Et+px)]exp[iθ]
L.T. [Ψ-] = exp[-i(E' t'-p'x')] = exp[-i(Et-px+iθ)] = exp[-i(Et-px)]exp[iθ]

Where E' and p' are the transformed energy and momentum, and θ is the phase factor.

Now, if you sum Ψ+ and Ψ- and then perform the Lorentz Transformation, you get:

L.T. [Ψ+ + Ψ-] = L.T. [exp[-i(Et+px)] + exp[-i(Et-px)]] = exp[-i(Et+px)]exp[iθ] + exp[-i(Et-px)]exp[iθ] = exp[-i(Et+px+iθ)] + exp[-i(Et-px+iθ)] = exp[-i(E' t'+p'x')]

Similarly, if you perform the Lorentz Transformation on Ψ+ and Ψ- individually and then sum them, you get:

L.T. [Ψ+] + L.T. [Ψ-] = exp[-i(Et+px)]exp[iθ] + exp[-i(Et-px)]exp[iθ] = exp[-i(Et+px+iθ)] + exp[-i(Et-px+iθ)] = exp[-i(E' t'+p'x')]

As you can see, the final result is the same in both cases. Therefore, you can perform the operations in any order without changing the

Related to Lorentz Transformation of f(x,t)+g(x,t) - Does the Order Matter?

1. How do you define Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between space and time in the theory of special relativity. It is used to convert coordinates and measurements between different frames of reference moving at constant velocities.

2. What is the purpose of adding two functions in Lorentz Transformation?

The addition of two functions in Lorentz Transformation allows us to consider the effects of both space and time on an object's position or velocity. This is important in understanding how objects move and behave in different reference frames.

3. Does the order of the functions in Lorentz Transformation matter?

Yes, the order of the functions does matter in Lorentz Transformation. The function f(x,t) represents the object's position or velocity in the original frame of reference, while g(x,t) represents the transformation from the original frame to the new frame. Therefore, the order in which they are added determines the final position or velocity in the new frame.

4. What happens if we switch the order of the functions in Lorentz Transformation?

If we switch the order of the functions in Lorentz Transformation, we will get a different result. This is because the original frame of reference and the new frame of reference are not equivalent, and the transformation between them will be different depending on the order of the functions.

5. Can Lorentz Transformation be applied to any type of motion?

Yes, Lorentz Transformation can be applied to any type of motion as long as it is at a constant velocity. It is a fundamental principle in the theory of special relativity and is used to accurately describe the behavior of objects in different frames of reference.