Lorentz Transformation: Get Answers to Your Questions

In summary, the Lorentz transformation is a way of moving from one frame of reference to another. The equation to use is t_b = \gamma(t_a - \frac{v_ax}{c^2}) where t_a, t_b, v_ax, and v_at_a are the time, position, velocity, and acceleration in the original frame of reference, respectively.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
First, I'd like to thanks this forum for helping this much and so far.
I have a question about Lorentz Transformation. Lots of questions actually :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation#Boost_in_the_x-direction
Instead of using t and x, I'd like to use ta and xa, and instead of using t' and x' I'd like to use tb and xb
So here is the equation.
##t_b = \gamma(t_a - \frac{v_ax}{c^2})##
##x_b = \gamma(x - v_at_a)##
##y_b = y_a##, won't be used
##z_b = z_a##, won't be used
okay...

##\gamma \text{ is } \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v_a^2}{c^2}}}##
Before I go any further, can I just use 2 dimensions?
1 time and 1 spatial (x), without y and z?
And after this thread, I'd like to go back to my previous threads to understand them
Twin Paradox asymmetry
Twin Paradox symmetry
Motion in space
Lorentz and Doppler
Universe Frame of Reference.
But before those, I'd like to understand Lorentz first.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know, by starting six threads on slight variations of the same subject, you maximize the chances for confusion. It's also a good idea to get the basics understood first before firing off half a dozen slightly different complications.

Likes PeroK
Vanadium 50 said:
You know, by starting six threads on slight variations of the same subject, you maximize the chances for confusion. It's also a good idea to get the basics understood first before firing off half a dozen slightly different complications.
Actually, no.
Those threads actually almost a month ago.
I asked one question, then I realize that there's more that I have to learn.
I started another, still I realize that it's less basic. I want to get to the most basic knowledge.
I start this one because of this in someone thread that I read

Janus said:
Consider Einstein's Train example...
You have a train with an observer at the midpoint between the ends. you also have an observer standing along the tracks..
trainsimul1.gif
[PLAIN]http://home.earthlink.net/~jparvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/trainsimul2.gif[/QUOTE]

I think this has to do with Lorentz contraction. Otherwise if wee look the bottom picture, the lights can't reach the observer at the same time from the train reference.
But to do that, the railway somehow must be contracted, otherwise the front of the train will reach the front mark at the SAME TIME with the back of the train.
And yet, the front train is in the middle of the light sphere wrt front train. So does the back train, it's in the centre of the back light sphere.
But before really understanding this picture, I really like to fully understand Lorentz transformation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephanus said:
I really like to fully understand Lorentz transformation.

This might help:

Likes Stephanus
A.T. said:
This might help:

Excelent, excelent, thanks.

A.T. said:
This might help
Thanks A.T, but could you tell me.
I want to study Lorentz formula
Boost only in x direction.
Can I use just 2 dimensions, before I ask further?
I want to understand it.
Can I just use
##t_b = \gamma(t_a - \frac{vx}{c^2})##
and
this only?
##x_b = \gamma(x_a - vt_a)##
Thanks

Last edited:
Stephanus said:
Thanks A.T, but could you tell me.
I want to study Lorentz formula
Boost only in x direction.
Can I use just 2 dimensions, before I ask further?
I want to understand it.
Can I just use
##t_b = \gamma(t_a - \frac{vx}{c^2})##
and
this only?
##x_b = \gamma(x_a - vt_a)##
Thanks
Better use (see post https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/length-contraction.817911/page-4#post-5137038):

##x' = \gamma(x - vt)##
##t' = \gamma(t - vx/c^2)##

BTW, the other dimensions are really easy:

y' = y
z' = z

From that follows, as explained in the other thread, for ta=tb:
##x'_b - x'_a = \Delta x' = \gamma \Delta x##
That means that according to how clocks are synchronized in S, lengths in S' appear length contracted.

Note that for relatively small speeds (say <0.001c or < 300 km/s) γ ≈ 1 so that:
x' ≈ x - vt
t'≈ t - vx/c2
That's just to highlight relativity of simultaneity in the Lorentz transformations :oldeyes:

Likes Stephanus
harrylin said:
Better use (see post https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/length-contraction.817911/page-4#post-5137038):

##x' = \gamma(x - vt)##
##t' = \gamma(t - vx/c^2)##

BTW, the other dimensions are really easy:

y' = y
z' = z

From that follows, as explained in the other thread, for ta=tb:
##x'_b - x'_a = \Delta x' = \gamma \Delta x##
That means that according to how clocks are synchronized in S, lengths in S' appear length contracted.

Note that for relatively small speeds (say <0.001c or < 300 km/s) γ ≈ 1 so that:
x' ≈ x - vt
t'≈ t - vx/c2
That's just to highlight relativity of simultaneity in the Lorentz transformations :oldeyes:
Perhaps 1 spatial dimension (plus 1 time dimension) is enough for boost in x direction?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation#Boost_in_the_x-direction
So that the calculation is somewhat simpler.

As long as you're happy to consider everything moving in one line, x and t is fine.

This is why trains are popular for SR examples.

Likes Stephanus

Related to Lorentz Transformation: Get Answers to Your Questions

1. What is Lorentz Transformation?

Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical formula used in the theory of relativity to describe the relationship between space and time in different inertial frames of reference.

2. Who developed Lorentz Transformation?

Lorentz Transformation was developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th and early 20th century.

3. What is the significance of Lorentz Transformation?

The significance of Lorentz Transformation lies in its ability to reconcile the laws of physics in different inertial frames of reference, which is essential in understanding the effects of time and space in Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. How is Lorentz Transformation calculated?

Lorentz Transformation is calculated using a set of equations, which take into account the relative velocity between two inertial frames of reference and the speed of light. These equations are based on the principles of special relativity and can be derived using basic algebra.

5. What real-world applications use Lorentz Transformation?

Lorentz Transformation is used in various fields of science and engineering, including particle physics, astrophysics, and aerospace engineering. It is also essential in the development of technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators.