Losses when Object is moving through Pressurized Air

• Thread starter Omega037
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the speaker is a grad student working on a design project involving an object moving at high speeds in a pressurized air tunnel. They are seeking information on the potential losses, particularly heat losses, that may occur on the object. They also ask for an analogous example of a floating puck in an air hockey game and the potential losses it may experience. The responder mentions frictional losses and notes that heat loss may occur if the object and air are at different temperatures, but it is more likely to heat up from viscous dissipation.
Omega037
I am a grad student(engineering, but not mechanical), and I have a rather difficult question for an actual design I am working on. If you have an object moving 200-300MPH in a pressurized air tunnel(5-10 psi), besides the losses due to drag, what are the losses, if any, that occur on the object. I imagine there would be some heat losses, but I am trying to find out if they would be significant.

For an analogous problem, what losses would there be on a floating puck in an air hockey game that is moving 0.1 m/s and floating above the surface(small holes push air upwards, making the puck hover). Just the drag of the air moving across the top and around the sides?

Engineering news on Phys.org
what kind of losses?? You already pointed out frictional losses.

heat loss? yes, if the two things are at different temperatures. I think it ll rather heat up from viscous dissipation.

Related to Losses when Object is moving through Pressurized Air

1. What causes losses when an object is moving through pressurized air?

The primary cause of losses when an object is moving through pressurized air is air resistance. This is the force that opposes the motion of the object and is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object.

2. How is air resistance affected by the speed of the object?

As the speed of the object increases, the air resistance also increases. This is because at higher speeds, the object has to push through more air molecules, resulting in more collisions and a greater resistance force.

3. What factors can affect the amount of air resistance an object experiences?

The amount of air resistance an object experiences can be affected by its shape, size, and surface texture. Objects with larger surface areas, such as parachutes, experience more air resistance than smaller objects. A streamlined shape can reduce air resistance, while a rough surface can increase it.

4. How does air density affect air resistance?

Air density, which is the amount of air molecules in a given volume of air, can greatly affect air resistance. Higher air density means more air molecules for the object to collide with, resulting in greater air resistance. This is why objects experience more air resistance at lower altitudes where air density is higher.

5. Can the air resistance of an object be reduced?

Yes, the air resistance of an object can be reduced by changing its shape, size, or surface texture. For example, cars are designed with streamlined shapes and smooth surfaces to reduce air resistance and increase fuel efficiency. Additionally, reducing the speed of an object can also decrease the air resistance it experiences.