Lower Specific Heat Capacity: Why Does It Transfer Heat Faster?

In summary, the reason why a cake tin burns almost instantly when touched in a hot oven compared to holding your hand in the air is because of the tin's lower specific heat capacity. This results in the tin transferring heat at a faster rate. The main factor is the tin's high heat conductivity. A higher heat capacity substance has more energy to transfer, but the main factor is the substance's heat conductivity.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. Here is the question i was given:

"When you hold your hand in the air in a hot oven, it takes a while before it starts to burn, but if you touch a cake tin in the oven, it burns almost instantly. Why?"

It has to do with the lower specific heat capacity of the tin, which apparently results in the cake tin transferring heat at a much faster rate. My question is...why does a substance with a lower specific heat capacity transfer heat faster?

Thanks.
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
danago said:
Hey. Here is the question i was given:

"When you hold your hand in the air in a hot oven, it takes a while before it starts to burn, but if you touch a cake tin in the oven, it burns almost instantly. Why?"

It has to do with the lower specific heat capacity of the tin, which apparently results in the cake tin transferring heat at a much faster rate. My question is...why does a substance with a lower specific heat capacity transfer heat faster?
Why do you say the greater heat transfer has to do with the lower heat capacity of tin?

AM

Its what i was told.

danago said:
Its what i was told.
I would think that a high heat capacity and a high heat conductivity would put more heat on the hand. The main factor, though, is high heat conductivity, which is what tin has.

AM

Yes, that's exacly what i thought, since a higher heat capacity substance has more energy to transfer.

Thanks very much for the reply.
Dan.

Related to Lower Specific Heat Capacity: Why Does It Transfer Heat Faster?

1. What is specific heat capacity and how does it affect heat transfer?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. Lower specific heat capacity means that a substance requires less heat to raise its temperature, resulting in faster heat transfer.

2. Why does a substance with lower specific heat capacity transfer heat faster?

Substances with lower specific heat capacity have fewer particles and weaker bonds between them, making it easier for heat to be transferred from one particle to another. This results in a faster increase in temperature and faster heat transfer.

3. How does the specific heat capacity of a substance affect its thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is the ability of a substance to transfer heat. A substance with lower specific heat capacity also has a lower thermal conductivity, meaning it can transfer heat more quickly.

4. Can the specific heat capacity of a substance change?

Yes, the specific heat capacity of a substance can change depending on its physical state, temperature, and pressure. For example, water has a higher specific heat capacity when it is a liquid compared to when it is a gas.

5. How does specific heat capacity affect the efficiency of heating and cooling systems?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is an important factor in determining the efficiency of heating and cooling systems. Substances with lower specific heat capacity will require less energy and time to heat up or cool down, making them more efficient for use in these systems.