LS coupling for identical electrons

In summary: The answer is that the 3P term includes the 1D state, and the 1D state includes the 3P state. This is why we choose to disallow the 1P state rather than the 3P state.
mk_gm1
Let's say I'm considering the [tex]3p^2[/tex] electrons. From the Pauli Exclusion Principle, we know that two electrons cannot have the same state, which in this case means ml and ms cannot both be the same for each electron.

What this means is that the following 6 terms must not be allowed:

[tex]m_{l1} \hspace{0.1 in} m_{l2} \hspace{0.1 in} m_{s1} \hspace{0.1 in} m_{s2}[/tex]

[tex]-1 \hspace{0.1 in} -1 \hspace{0.1 in} \downarrow \hspace{0.3 in} \downarrow[/tex]
[tex]-1 \hspace{0.1 in} -1 \hspace{0.1 in} \uparrow \hspace{0.3 in} \uparrow[/tex]
[tex]0 \hspace{0.4 in} 0 \hspace{0.3 in} \downarrow \hspace{0.3 in} \downarrow[/tex]
[tex]0 \hspace{0.4 in} 0 \hspace{0.3 in} \uparrow \hspace{0.3 in} \uparrow[/tex]
[tex]+1 \hspace{0.1 in} +1 \hspace{0.1 in} \downarrow \hspace{0.3 in} \downarrow[/tex]
[tex]+1 \hspace{0.1 in} +1 \hspace{0.1 in} \uparrow \hspace{0.3 in} \uparrow[/tex]

These correspond to [tex]M_L=\sum m_{li}
= -2, -2, 0, 0, 2, 2[/tex] and [tex]M_S = \sum m_{si} = -1, 1, -1, 1, -1, 1[/tex] respectively.

My question is this - how does this lead to the conclusion that the allowed terms are 1S, 1D and 3P ? For example, there's a ML = 0, MS= -1 term in both 3S and 3P - why do we disallow one and not the other?

Also, what leads us to disallow 1P (for which ML=-1, 0, 1 and MS=0)? Surely the only way to have MS = 0 is to have [tex]\downarrow_1 \hspace{0.1 in} \uparrow_2[/tex] or vice versa, and hence [tex]m_{s1} \neq m_{s2}[/tex] and we have no violation of the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by ''why do we disallow one and not the other?''

Ok let me try and clarify what I'm confused by. Have a look at the following table which I have taken from my notes:

UZYKl.png

In this table we are looking at part of the identical (np)2 configuration. There are 15 possible configurations, all of which I haven't posted.

Take a look at the 2nd row. I can see why this state corresponds to the 3P term. For it to be a P term, it must have L = 1 where [tex] L \geq |M_L|[/tex]. It clearly has this. For it to be a 3P term, the multiplicity 2S+1=3 i.e. S=1 where [tex]S \geq | M_S |[/tex]. This is obvious.

Now if you look at the 4th row, I am not sure why it also has to be a 3P state . I understand that it can be (i.e. that the 3P term includes this state), but this could equally well be a 1P state, no? This is because here S=0. Therefore why do we choose one and not the other?

Related to LS coupling for identical electrons

1. What is "LS coupling" for identical electrons?

LS coupling is a term used in atomic physics to describe the coupling of the spin angular momentum (S) and orbital angular momentum (L) of electrons in an atom. It occurs when the electrons have the same energy and spin quantum numbers, and results in the formation of energy levels known as "LS terms".

2. Why is LS coupling important?

LS coupling is important because it helps us understand the energy levels and spectral lines of atoms. It also allows us to predict the properties of atoms, such as their magnetic moments, and to study their interactions with external fields.

3. How does LS coupling differ from jj coupling?

LS coupling only applies to atoms with identical electrons, while jj coupling applies to atoms with different electrons. In LS coupling, the total angular momentum J is the sum of the spin and orbital angular momenta, while in jj coupling, J is the vector sum of the individual angular momenta of each electron.

4. How does LS coupling affect the energy levels of an atom?

LS coupling causes the energy levels of an atom to split into sub-levels, known as "fine structure levels". This is due to the interaction between the spin and orbital angular momenta, which results in an energy shift for each level. This is important for understanding the spectral lines of atoms and their properties.

5. Can LS coupling be violated in certain cases?

Yes, LS coupling can be violated in atoms with strong spin-orbit coupling, such as heavy atoms. In these cases, the spin and orbital angular momenta of the electrons are not good quantum numbers, and the energy levels do not follow the LS coupling scheme. This is known as "j-j coupling" and is important for understanding the behavior of heavy atoms.