LS Solution vs. Pre-Averaging: Which is More Effective for Noise Reduction?

• Thread starter divB
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using LS with a Pseudo inverse to solve a system of equations with small variables and a large number of equations. The vector \mathbf{y} is corrupted by noise, and the question is raised whether averaging over the noise or using LS with the full system would be a better approach. The speaker asks for assistance in proving this analytically using the properties of a pseudo-inverse.
divB
Hi,

I have a system of equations [itex]\mathbf{y} = \mathbf{A}\mathbf{c}[/itex] where the entries in [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] are small (say, K=10 elements) and the number equations (i.e., elements in [itex]\mathbf{y}[/itex]) is huge (say, N=10000 elements).

I want to solve now for [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex]; this can be done using LS with the Pseudo inverse:

[tex]\mathbf{c} = \mathbf{A}^{\dagger} \mathbf{y}[/tex]

However, the vector [itex]\mathbf{y}[/itex] is now heavily corrupted by noise (just assume iid Gaussian).

I could calculate the mean over M consecutive elements in [itex]\mathbf{y}[/itex] and rows in [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex] in order to average over the noise. The system would be collapsed to a smaller system with N/M entries which would be solved via LS.

Now I ask the question: Is this better than directly using LS with the full system?

I doubt because that's the sense of LS. However, I was not able to "proof" this analytically.

Any help?
Thanks,

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey divB.

Can you use the properties of a psuedo-inverse to show that this holds? (Recall that a pseudo-inverse has the property that C*C'*C = C)

FAQ: LS Solution vs. Pre-Averaging: Which is More Effective for Noise Reduction?

What is LS solution and how does it differ from pre-averaging?

LS solution stands for Least Squares solution and it is a mathematical method used for finding the line of best fit for a set of data points. Pre-averaging, on the other hand, is a technique used to reduce the noise in a set of data points by averaging multiple measurements. The main difference between the two is that LS solution aims to find the best fit line for the entire data set, while pre-averaging focuses on reducing the noise in individual data points.

Which method is more accurate - LS solution or pre-averaging?

It is difficult to determine which method is more accurate as it depends on the specific data set and the purpose of the analysis. LS solution is more suitable for finding the overall trend in a set of data, while pre-averaging is better for reducing noise in individual data points. Both methods have their own strengths and limitations and the choice between them should be based on the specific requirements of the analysis.

Can LS solution and pre-averaging be used together?

Yes, LS solution and pre-averaging can be used together in certain cases. For example, if a data set has a lot of noise, pre-averaging can be used to reduce the noise before applying LS solution to find the best fit line. This combination can result in a more accurate analysis and is commonly used in fields such as finance and economics.

Which method is more time-consuming - LS solution or pre-averaging?

LS solution is usually more time-consuming as it involves complex mathematical calculations to find the best fit line for a set of data points. Pre-averaging, on the other hand, is a simpler technique and can be performed relatively quickly. However, the time taken for both methods ultimately depends on the size and complexity of the data set being analyzed.

Are there any limitations to using LS solution or pre-averaging?

Yes, both LS solution and pre-averaging have their own limitations. LS solution assumes that the data follows a linear trend, which may not always be the case. Pre-averaging can only reduce noise to a certain extent and may not be effective for extremely noisy data. It is important to carefully consider these limitations before using either method for analysis.