LTC4440 LTSpice simulation problems?

In summary, the LTC4440 can be used to drive a FET with a drain voltage of 70, but you will need to add a diode and change the mosfet model to get it to work correctly.
MattQ
Am I trying to use the LTC4440 as a high side mosfet driver, but when I run the demo simulation in LTSPice, this is what I get from the output from TG. There seems to be no boost to the gate control, so how can this drive any MOSFET, much less a FET with a drain voltage of 70 as specified on the spec sheet?

Included the schematic

Attachments

• LTC4440.jpg
    LTC4440.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
MattQ said:
[..] when I run the demo simulation in LTSPice, this is what I get from the output from TG.
Did you forget the attachment?

MattQ said:
Am I trying to use the LTC4440 as a high side mosfet driver, but when I run the demo simulation in LTSPice, this is what I get from the output from TG. There seems to be no boost to the gate control, so how can this drive any MOSFET, much less a FET with a drain voltage of 70 as specified on the spec sheet?

Included the schematic

Thanks for adding the attachment. You have not connected the Boost section correctly. You are missing at least a diode... Check the datasheet again for the 4440.

I got your circuit working only after adding the diode (as advised by the datasheet) and changing the mosfet model from the default "NMOS" to an actual model from the library (I arbitrarily picked BSH114). I suspect this might have something to do with this quote from the datasheet:
LTC4440 DATASHEET said:
The LTC4440 is capable of driving a 1nF load with 10ns rise and 7ns fall times using a bootstrapped supply voltage VBOOST–TS of 12V

You should probably also extend the simulation time as well and make sure it behaves as you want in the steady state region—for some combinations of load resistance and mosfet model I saw some weird things happen after a while. Good luck.

FAQ: LTC4440 LTSpice simulation problems?

1. How do I download and install LTSpice for simulating LTC4440?

To download LTSpice, go to the official website for Analog Devices and click on the "Download LTSpice" button. Follow the prompts to install the software on your computer.

2. Why am I getting errors when simulating LTC4440 in LTSpice?

This could be due to a few different reasons. First, make sure you have the correct model file for the LTC4440. You may also need to adjust simulation settings or check for any circuit errors.

3. How can I find the appropriate model file for LTC4440 in LTSpice?

You can find the model file for LTC4440 on the official website for Linear Technology. Search for "LTC4440 spice model" and download the file. Then, place it in the same folder as your LTSpice circuit file.

4. How do I troubleshoot simulation problems in LTSpice for LTC4440?

First, check for any errors in your circuit design. Next, try changing simulation settings such as time step or convergence parameters. You can also refer to online forums or the official LTSpice manual for additional troubleshooting tips.

5. Can I use LTSpice to simulate LTC4440 for different circuit configurations?

Yes, LTSpice allows you to simulate LTC4440 for different circuit configurations by changing the values of components in your circuit. You can also use LTSpice's parametric sweep feature to analyze the performance of LTC4440 for different parameter values.

Back