LU factorization to solve Ax = b

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the LU factorization for a 4x5 matrix and using it to solve the equation Ax = b. It is mentioned that the LU decomposition is applicable to square matrices, but there may be a way to find it for non-square matrices. However, the conversation also notes that for an underdetermined system like this, there may be an infinite number of solutions, and finding the LU decomposition alone may not be enough to solve the equation. Other factorization techniques may be necessary to find a minimum norm solution.
Quincy

Homework Statement

A is a 4 x 5 matrix equal to
[1 4 -1 5 3
3 7 -2 9 6
-2 -3 6 -4 1
1 6 9 8 2]

and b =
[5
12]

(b is 4 x 1)

Find the LU factorization and use it to solve Ax = b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set Ly = b, and solve for y, then I set Ux = y, and when I row-reduce the Augmented [U y] matrix, I always get a 4 x 1 matrix, but x is supposed to be 5 x 1, what am I doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
lkh1986 said:
Or there's actually a way to find he LU decomposition for a non-square matrix?

There was an example of it in the book; it only found L and U for the 4x5 matrix though, it didn't show how to solve Ax = b.

Quincy said:
There was an example of it in the book; it only found L and U for the 4x5 matrix though, it didn't show how to solve Ax = b.

That's because there are potentially an infinite number of solutions. The system you have is what's called an 'underdetermined' system that has fewer equations than unknowns. There is a 'minimum norm' solution that can be found via other factorization techniques (QR or SVD), but not LU (at least I don't think so).

Related to LU factorization to solve Ax = b

What is LU factorization?

LU factorization is a method used in linear algebra to decompose a matrix into two separate matrices, L and U. This allows for the efficient solving of systems of linear equations.

Why is LU factorization useful?

LU factorization is useful because it simplifies the process of solving systems of linear equations, making it faster and more efficient. It also allows for easier manipulation of matrices, which is useful in various mathematical applications.

How does LU factorization work?

LU factorization involves finding the L and U matrices by performing Gaussian elimination on the original matrix. This involves using row operations to reduce the original matrix to an upper triangular form, which can then be split into L and U matrices.

What is the difference between LU factorization and Gaussian elimination?

LU factorization is a specific type of Gaussian elimination that involves decomposing the original matrix into two separate matrices. Gaussian elimination, on the other hand, involves using row operations to reduce a matrix to its simplest form.

When should LU factorization be used?

LU factorization should be used when solving systems of linear equations that require repeated operations on the same matrix. It is also useful when working with large matrices, as it can significantly reduce the time and effort required to solve them.