Machine elements - deflection and stress problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect calculation of deformation and stress in a steel and aluminum assembly under a tensile force of 200kN. The attempt at adding the deformations of both materials and using the stress formula for each separately yielded incorrect results. The expert suggests considering the assembly as two springs in parallel instead of in series.
Triathlete

Homework Statement

upload_2016-2-3_20-44-39.png

Homework Equations

δ = Pl/AE
σ = P/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I had calculated the deformation for both the steel and aluminum, and added them together to give me δ = 0.481 mm, which is incorrect. I also thought I could simply plug in the force P = 200kN and the respective cross sectional areas for each material into the stress formula, which also gave me incorrect answers. Not sure where to go from here.
upload_2016-2-3_20-44-39.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Triathlete said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 95263

Homework Equations

δ = Pl/AE
σ = P/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I had calculated the deformation for both the steel and aluminum, and added them together to give me δ = 0.481 mm, which is incorrect.
Not sure why you would do that. The steel and the aluminum pieces are not in series. Each of the pieces must stretch the same amount, since there is a flange welded to one end and a tensile force is then applied to the assembly.

I also thought I could simply plug in the force P = 200kN and the respective cross sectional areas for each material into the stress formula, which also gave me incorrect answers. Not sure where to go from here.View attachment 95263
Instead of two stiff springs in series, why don't you think of this assembly as two stiff springs in parallel? What's the spring constant for two springs of different spring constants in parallel?

Related to Machine elements - deflection and stress problem

1. What are machine elements?

Machine elements are individual components or parts that make up a machine. These elements work together to produce a desired function or movement in a machine, such as transmitting power, supporting loads, or controlling motion. Examples of machine elements include gears, bearings, belts, and shafts.

2. What is deflection in machine elements?

Deflection refers to the bending or deformation of a machine element when subjected to an external load. This can occur due to factors such as the material properties of the element, the magnitude and direction of the load, and the geometry of the element. Deflection can affect the functionality, durability, and safety of a machine, so it is an important factor to consider in design and analysis.

3. How is stress calculated in machine elements?

Stress is a measure of the internal forces acting within a machine element. It is calculated by dividing the applied load by the cross-sectional area of the element. This gives the stress in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa). Stress analysis is crucial in determining the strength and reliability of machine elements and ensuring they can withstand the forces they will encounter in operation.

4. What are common causes of deflection and stress problems in machine elements?

Deflection and stress problems in machine elements can be caused by a variety of factors, including excessive loads, inadequate material selection, poor design, and manufacturing defects. Improper installation, maintenance, or use can also contribute to these issues. It is important to carefully consider all these factors and perform thorough analysis and testing to prevent deflection and stress problems in machine elements.

5. How can deflection and stress problems be prevented in machine elements?

To prevent deflection and stress problems in machine elements, it is important to carefully select materials and design elements that can withstand the anticipated loads and operating conditions. Using appropriate safety factors and conducting thorough analysis and testing can also help identify potential issues and ensure the reliability and durability of machine elements. Regular maintenance and proper use can also help prevent or detect any deflection or stress problems that may arise during operation.