Machine gun conservation of momentum problem

In summary: Yes, correct.But you could use any Δt you want. If Δt=3 then instead of 1200*0.03 you'll have 1200*0.27 (because 0.27 is the mass of all of the bullets shot in 3 seconds).Then divide by 3 and you'll get the same answer.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

A machine gun held by a soldier fires bullets at the rate of three per second. Each bullet has a mass of 30 g and a speed of 1200 m/s. Find the average force exerted on the soldier.

Homework Equations

FΔt = mgf-mgi

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to do this by plugging it into the above equation 1200(.03)/ 3 = 12 to find the average force. The actual answer is 108. I know that the 3 should actually be multiplied to find the force but I am not sure why. Wouldn't that be finding the average momentum per second?

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainMan said:

Homework Statement

A machine gun held by a soldier fires bullets at the rate of three per second. Each bullet has a mass of 30 g and a speed of 1200 m/s. Find the average force exerted on the soldier.

Homework Equations

FΔt = mgf-mgi

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to do this by plugging it into the above equation 1200(.03)/ 3 = 12 to find the average force. The actual answer is 108. I know that the 3 should actually be multiplied to find the force but I am not sure why. Wouldn't that be finding the average momentum per second?

Isn't the impulse equation:

FΔt = mΔv ?

What Δt are you using?

Remember, the cyclic rate of the gun is 3 rounds per second.

SteamKing said:
Isn't the impulse equation:

FΔt = mΔv ?

What Δt are you using?

Remember, the cyclic rate of the gun is 3 rounds per second.

Yes it is the title was a typo. I am using 3 as the change in time.

BrainMan said:
1200(.03)/ 3 = 12

Why did you divide by 3?

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
Why did you divide by 3?

because I thought that was the Δt.

BrainMan said:
because I thought that was the Δt.

You could make Δt 3 if you want to, but then would the "1200*0.3" be correct? (To me that implies Δt=1/3 since 0.3 is the mass of one bullet and it takes 1/3 of a second for 1 bullet to be shot.)

Edit:
What is the mass of all the bullets shot in Δt=3 seconds?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
You could make Δt 3 if you want to, but then would the "1200*0.3" be correct? (To me that implies Δt=1/3 since 0.3 is the mass of one bullet and it takes 1/3 of a second for 1 bullet to be shot.)

Edit:
What is the mass of all the bullets shot in Δt=3 seconds?

OK I see the time would be 1/3 because it takes 1/3 of a second to fire a bullet therefore you have to divide by 1/3. Thanks!

BrainMan said:
OK I see the time would be 1/3 because it takes 1/3 of a second to fire a bullet therefore you have to divide by 1/3. Thanks!

Yes, correct.

But you could use any Δt you want. If Δt=3 then instead of 1200*0.03 you'll have 1200*0.27 (because 0.27 is the mass of all of the bullets shot in 3 seconds).

Then divide by 3 and you'll get the same answer.

Related to Machine gun conservation of momentum problem

1. What is the conservation of momentum principle?

The conservation of momentum principle states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. In other words, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to machine guns?

In the context of machine guns, the conservation of momentum applies to the recoil of the gun. When a bullet is fired from a machine gun, it gains momentum in one direction and the gun gains an equal amount of momentum in the opposite direction. This recoil can be observed as the gun "kicking back" when fired.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum in a machine gun?

The conservation of momentum in a machine gun is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the bullet, the mass of the gun, and the speed at which the bullet is fired. These factors all contribute to the overall momentum of the system before and after the bullet is fired.

4. How is the conservation of momentum used to calculate the recoil of a machine gun?

The conservation of momentum can be used to calculate the recoil of a machine gun by considering the momentum of the bullet and the momentum of the gun before and after firing. By setting the initial and final momenta equal, the equation can be solved to determine the recoil velocity of the gun.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of momentum in machine guns?

While the conservation of momentum principle holds true in most cases, there are some exceptions in the context of machine guns. For example, if the bullet is fired in a vacuum, there will be no external forces acting on the system and the total momentum will remain constant. However, in real-world situations, there are often external factors such as air resistance that can slightly affect the momentum of the bullet and gun.