Magentic Fields and Force Exerted

So the resultant is 0N.In summary, the net flow of current in this scenario is 0A, as shown by the diagram with two arrows of opposite direction and magnitude 5.0A. The force on each segment is also equal and opposite, resulting in a net force of 0N. This is due to the fact that sin(30°) is equal to -sin(150°).
Theudius

Homework Statement

Ocw6PFW.png

2. Homework Equations [/B]
F = BIL sin(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't homework its a practice question so I have looked at the answer and its 0N however I do not understand why it is 0N. I have tried resolving the magnetic flux density so its perpendicular to the flux and I get my answer to be "B".

Thanks.

Attachments

• Ocw6PFW.png
    Ocw6PFW.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 878
Physics news on Phys.org
At any cm section of the wire pair what is the net flow of current? Or you could take each part of the pair separately and note the directions of the forces and strength and note the resultant.

So the net flow of current is 0A as shown by the diagram there are two arrows in the opposite direction of magnitude 5.0A?

That is what the author intended you to note. What about the force on each segment ( incoming and outgoing)?

Through the equation F = BIL sin(x) since the current is the same on each side, the force incoming is the same as the force outgoing hence the resultant force will be zero?

Yes and you should also say they are in opposite directions . sin(30°) = - sin(150°)

Likes Theudius

Related to Magentic Fields and Force Exerted

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnet or any moving charged particle. It is created by the movement of electrons within an object and can be detected by its effect on other objects.

How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by the movement of electrically charged particles. This can occur in several ways, such as the movement of electrons in an electric current or the spinning of an atomic nucleus.

How do magnetic fields interact with each other?

Magnetic fields can either attract or repel each other depending on the orientation of their poles. Like poles (north and north or south and south) will repel each other, while opposite poles (north and south) will attract each other.

What is the force exerted by a magnetic field?

The force exerted by a magnetic field on a charged particle is known as the Lorentz force. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the charged particle.

How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in compasses for navigation, in electric motors and generators, and in medical imaging devices like MRI machines. They are also used in data storage devices like hard drives and credit cards.

Back