Maglev Train and Earth's Rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a maglev train, starting at rest, will slowly drift or accelerate due to the rotation of the earth. The Earth's rotation and Coriolis acceleration are taken into consideration, but it is ultimately concluded that a non-moving body will not experience Coriolis force.
DBirk

Homework Statement

Will a maglev train beginning at rest slowly drift or accelerate due to the rotation of the earth?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The Earth is a rotating reference frame, with points on the equator moving at approximately 1000 miles per hour. If the maglev is not coupled in any way to the Earth (via friction), I would expect that the Earth would begin to move underneath the train, and the train would appear to move in that reference frame. Ultimately, the train would continue to accelerate until it reached a maximum speed, limited by wind resistance.
I understand that once moving it will become subject to Coriolis acceleration, but I am interested in the question of whether or not it will go from rest to moving at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the initial speed of the train with respect to the earth?

It begins at rest. Question is, will it ever begin to move, or will it remain at rest?

It's at rest with respect to the earth, which means it's moving as fast as the Earth is. Why should its speed change?

Well, that's my confusion. If the Earth is a truly rotating reference frame, it moves with respect to a reference frame at rest. So, the Earth has imparted an initial speed of 1000 mph to the train with respect to the non-moving reference frame. But then the Earth no longer influences the train as it is frictionless, so I would expect the train to decelerate in the Earth's reference frame and approach rest in the non-moving reference frame.

Forget the train for a minute. Say you were sitting on a frictionless ice-covered pond. You're at rest, thus moving with the earth. Would you expect that you'd start to move faster and faster?

So you are suggesting that a body in motion tends to stay in motion. i.e. there are no forces acting on the train (or me on the pond), so I will keep right on moving with the earth. I can see that.
Consider for a second coriolis acceleration. If you fire a projectile a long distance, the Earth spins underneath it, so it appears the the projectile is moving with respect to the earth. Would this effect not then also affect a body at rest if it is frictionless?

DBirk said:
Consider for a second coriolis acceleration. If you fire a projectile a long distance, the Earth spins underneath it, so it appears the the projectile is moving with respect to the earth. Would this effect not then also affect a body at rest if it is frictionless?
No. There's no coriolis force for a non-moving body. (Non-moving with respect to the rotating frame.)

Related to Maglev Train and Earth's Rotation

1. How does the Maglev Train work?

The Maglev Train uses magnetic levitation technology, which consists of electromagnets on the train and a guideway. The train is lifted and propelled by the repulsive force between the magnets, allowing it to float and move at high speeds without touching the ground.

2. How fast can the Maglev Train travel?

The current world record for the fastest Maglev Train is held by Japan's L0 Series, which reached a speed of 375 mph (603 km/h) during a test run. However, the average commercial operating speed for Maglev Trains is around 270 mph (430 km/h).

3. How does Earth's rotation affect the Maglev Train?

Earth's rotation does not have a significant impact on the operation of the Maglev Train. The train is designed to maintain a constant distance from the guideway, so any slight changes in the Earth's rotation do not affect its performance.

4. Can Maglev Trains be affected by extreme weather conditions?

Maglev Trains are designed to operate in various weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold, rain, and snow. However, they may experience some delays or reduced speeds in extreme weather, just like any other form of transportation.

5. Are there any safety concerns with Maglev Trains?

Maglev Trains have an excellent safety record, with no major accidents reported since their inception. The lack of physical contact between the train and the guideway eliminates the risk of derailment, and the trains are equipped with advanced control systems to ensure safe operation.