Magnet Valves: What Are They and How Do They Work?

In summary, a magnet valve is a type of solenoid valve that uses a permanent magnet to actuate the valve in case of a power failure. It is commonly used in gas cookers as a safety device. The magnet is either physically moved into position or held against it by a stronger electromagnet. Some may question the need for a magnet valve when a simple lever could do the job.
TSN79
I'm doing some drawings on a cooling system, which includes a couple of so called "magnet valves". What excactly is a magnet valve, and does it actually have anything to do with the normal type of magnets?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe it to be as per a normal solenoid valve, but with a permanent magnet so that when power cannot be supplied (in an emergency, for instance) the valve can still actuate to an off position. They're used in gas cookers as safety devices, I believe.

So do you physically move the magnet into position, or is the valve held against it by a stronger electromagnet, or what? If the latter, a spring would make more sense. If the former, why not just a lever? :confused:

I have never personally heard of the term. However, it makes sense that it is simply a solenoid valve since the entire operation is based on moving an iron core in a magnetic field.

FAQ: Magnet Valves: What Are They and How Do They Work?

What are magnet valves?

Magnet valves are electromechanical devices that use a magnetic field to control the flow of fluids or gases in a system.

How do magnet valves work?

Magnet valves have a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when an electrical current is passed through it. This magnetic field attracts a plunger or armature, which opens or closes the valve to control the flow of the fluid or gas.

What are some common applications of magnet valves?

Magnet valves are commonly used in various industries, such as oil and gas, food and beverage, water treatment, and automotive, to control the flow of liquids or gases in pipelines, pumps, and other systems.

What are the types of magnet valves?

There are two main types of magnet valves: direct-acting and pilot-operated. Direct-acting valves have a small orifice and can operate at low pressures, while pilot-operated valves have a larger orifice and require higher pressures to operate.

What are the advantages of using magnet valves?

Magnet valves offer precise and reliable control of fluid or gas flow, have a long lifespan, and can be operated remotely. They also require minimal maintenance and have low power consumption.

Back