Magnetic Breaking System Project

• Thread starter AhmedEzz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, a group of first year electrical engineering students are having trouble choosing a project from a list that includes topics such as MAGLEV, current meters, digital compass, mapping of equipotential surfaces, magnetic braking system, and ignition coil. After considering the options, the group decides on the MAGLEV train model and begins discussing the logistics of designing it. They consider using a linear motor to move the train and discuss using a hallbach array and electromagnet for levitation. However, they encounter challenges and are unsure of how to proceed. One member suggests using a feedback circuit to control the levitation, but another member dismisses this idea due to time constraints and a lack of knowledge in circuitry. The conversation ends with the group still unsure
AhmedEzz
Hi all, if I'm in the wrong place please do let me know...I am in first year electrical engineering and I am asked to do a project with a group but we are having trouble selecting which project make from this list:

1. MAGLEV : Use of magnetic field to build a magnetically
levitating model train

4. Current meters : Magnetic field is used to detect the current
value in conductors and in electronic tracks

5. Digital compass : The Earth’s magnetic field is used to find the
direction of the “Magnetic North Pole”

7. Mapping of equipotential surfaces -
Mapping and plotting the equipotential
surfaces between two conductors at different
potential levels

8. Magnetic breaking system : Use of magnetic field to build a magnetic
breaking system

9. Ignition coil : Used in cars for spark plugs

Can you please help us choose?

Now I am thinking of choosing the "Magnetic Breaking System"...do you think its possible to design a simple model of that system? if it is possible, how many students would it take to make it? given that we are required to write a report as well and not just make the thing.

We will buy the stuff locally so please put that in consideration as well, we don't want to wander for sophisticated electronics or sensors which we won't find in the local egyptian market.

Engineering news on Phys.org
id do the maglev purely because it sounds fun and interesting,,, also it may be possible to explore different topics within that topic...
so for me definately mag lev

I'd just go with the basic kindergarten neutron bomb, but that's just because I like to push dubya's buttons through his cronies in NSA who monitor the site. :biggrin:

i am seriously considering the Maglev train model. Although I know how to levitate it, I don't know how to move it...can anyone help??

Its either that or the magnetic braking system - rotational movement-...can anyone help me on that either so i can finally choose?

thanks guys

"Although I know how to levitate it, I don't know how to move it...can anyone help??"
Take a motor and unroll it; it becomes a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_motor" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much, how can i find the formulas to calculate the force required to levitate the load...i know "how" its done but i don't know the formulas to use, can you drop any hints?

you could also use electricity to increase the magnetic force on either the back or front of the train to push it forward,,,, but that's a little bit complex

For levitation i intend to use a premenant magnet on the load/train and electricity to produce an opposite magnetic field to repel the load and levitate it...and i'll use the concept of linear motors/electromagnetic propulsion to move the load/train, am i right so far?

for that maglev, consider a hallbach array. also, some of these projects seem pretty complicated for freshman level students, although I don't know how in depth you will go into it.

Funny, I was rather thinking that too... :D

hello guys, i am having troubles with the maglev project and was hoping you could help...what we reached so far is that we -me and my group- will use a steel core electromagnet (circular or rectangular) to suspend a permenant magnet, the electromagnet will be large enough to contain the permenant magnet and form some sort of a cushion to repel the magnet enough for levitation. is this design for electromagnetic levitation logical?? the permenant magnet will have a circular shape as well.I don't want to include sensors or circuitry in the project, since it will cost us more of what we don't have ~ time.

next we will try to use guideways for propulsion but i still can't form a clear image of this is going to be done...can anyone please help? I've read a lot and researched a lot but didn't reach a noticeable practical step in the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you realize that you will need some kind of feedback circuit to prevent your levitated thing just going clunk against the electromagnet?

That inverse square law is a real bummer...

nope, can't have that feedback circuit, i'll try to adjust the current myself until reaching a good stable levitation...then i'll think of something for propulsion.

Good luck with that :biggrin:

Just remember to keep your fingers out of the way when doing it...

zeitghost said:
Good luck with that :biggrin:

Just remember to keep your fingers out of the way when doing it...

man, if u can't offer me help, don't laugh at me ok...its not funny and I'm in trouble because I'm working with a bunch of lazy-ass people and i really can't include circuitry because i don't have the time to, so spare the laughs.

pfff!

AhmedEzz said:
man, if u can't offer me help, don't laugh at me ok...its not funny and I'm in trouble because I'm working with a bunch of lazy-ass people and i really can't include circuitry because i don't have the time to, so spare the laughs.

I'm not laughing at you... I'm attempting to help you realize that a feedback circuit is necessary to control your project...

Without it, you'll need reactions like lightning to have any chance whatever of controlling your device.

And that's just controlling the distance it rides at...

How do you think this little toy levitated globes work?

They use a feedback circuit to stabilise the distance... otherwise the globe just falls to the floor or goes clunk to the top...

I know what it's like to have lazy people on a project.

I see a lot of them in my work.

Best of luck.

rgds
Zeit.

Related to Magnetic Breaking System Project

1. What is a magnetic breaking system?

A magnetic breaking system is a type of technology that uses magnets to slow down or stop the movement of an object. It works by creating a magnetic field that creates resistance against the object's motion, slowing it down.

2. How does a magnetic breaking system work?

A magnetic breaking system works by using magnetic fields to create resistance against an object's motion. When the object moves past the magnets, the magnetic field exerts a force on the object, slowing it down. This process is repeated until the object comes to a complete stop.

3. What are the advantages of a magnetic breaking system?

Some advantages of a magnetic breaking system include: a smoother and more controlled braking experience, lower maintenance requirements compared to traditional braking systems, and the ability to generate electricity while braking, making it more energy-efficient.

4. What are the potential applications of a magnetic breaking system?

A magnetic breaking system can be used in various applications, such as trains, roller coasters, and elevators. It can also be used in industrial settings, such as in manufacturing processes, to slow down or stop moving objects.

5. Are there any limitations to a magnetic breaking system?

One limitation of a magnetic breaking system is its dependence on a power source to create the magnetic field. If the power source fails, the braking system will not work. Additionally, the strength of the magnetic field may be affected by external factors such as temperature and magnetic interference.