Magnetic/ electric/ gravitational field?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from an exam regarding a charged particle placed in a field. The fields mentioned are electric, magnetic, and gravitational. It is mentioned that no force will act on the particle if it is stationary or moving in any direction. The participants discuss which field the particle is placed in and come to the conclusion that it must be the gravitational field. The conversation also touches on the effects of motion on the particle's energy and charge. Finally, the topic of general relativity is briefly mentioned.
Ellie
I got a question from my exam. We are given the name of three fields; electric field, magnetic field and gravitational field. A charged particle is placed in a field, but no force will act on it if it's stationary or moving in any direction. What field is the particle placed in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ellie said:
I got a question from my exam. We are given the name of three fields; electric field, magnetic field and gravitational field. A charged particle is placed in a field, but no force will act on it if it's stationary or moving in any direction. What field is the particle placed in?
Presumably you are intended to assume that say, the particle is massive and charged? If that is the case which of those forces would produce such motion.

Last edited:
Vagn said:
Presumably you are intended to assume that say, the particle is massive and charged? If that is the case which of those forces would produce such motion.

Yes, the particle is charged, but not exactly massive. Let's assume that it is a point charge. It's not specified whether is + or -

In electrical and magnetic field, force will act on a charged particle as long as it is not perpendicular to the field. Which leaves only gravitational field. But then gravitational field exerts force too, right? They're pulling everything towards it's center.

If the particle is not massive there is no solution.
If it is the right combination of electric and a gravitational fields can do the job at rest.
When it moves, its energy increases by a factor 1/sqrt(1-v^2) but so does its charge.
So the solution is still valid.

my2cts said:
If the particle is not massive there is no solution.
If it is the right combination of electric and a gravitational fields can do the job at rest.
When it moves, its energy increases by a factor 1/sqrt(1-v^2) but so does its charge.
So the solution is still valid.

Ah, now I get it. Thanks for the clarification!

my2cts said:
The charge is a Lorentz invariant, and does not change with motion.
My guess is they wanted you to neglect the effect of GR.

Related to Magnetic/ electric/ gravitational field?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in magnets or electric currents.

2. How is an electric field different from a magnetic field?

An electric field is created by stationary electric charges, while a magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. Additionally, electric fields interact with and can be shielded by conductive materials, while magnetic fields can pass through most materials.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic and electric fields?

Magnetic and electric fields are closely related and can even be considered different aspects of the same phenomenon. They can be converted into one another and are both governed by Maxwell's equations.

4. How does a gravitational field differ from a magnetic or electric field?

A gravitational field is created by massive objects and affects all objects with mass, while magnetic and electric fields only affect objects with electric charges. Gravitational fields also follow Newton's law of universal gravitation, while magnetic and electric fields follow different laws.

5. Can magnetic or electric fields be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, magnetic and electric fields can be manipulated and controlled using various methods such as changing the strength of the source, altering the orientation of the field, or using materials with specific magnetic or electric properties. However, gravitational fields cannot be manipulated in the same way.

Back