Magnetic field and conducting rails

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bar sliding on conducting rails connected to a dc generator and a body of mass 1.2kg. The system is in a uniform magnetic field and the goal is to find the current, power, and limiting speed. The individual struggles with understanding the concept of "limiting speed" and provides some calculations and equations. They ask for guidance and clarification on how to proceed with the problem.
BOAS
Hello,

i'm really struggling with this problem and don't understand some of the terminology.

Homework Statement

A bar of length 20cm and negligible mass can slide over two conducting rails connected to a dc generator producing an emf V0 = 6V, connected so as to produce a current as in the figure. The resistance of the bar is R = 0.08Ω, all other parts have negligible resistance. The bar is connected through a pully to a body of mass 1.2kg the system is immersed in a uniform magnetic field orthogonal to the rails, as in the figure, whose magnitude is 1T. The system is designed in such a way that, after a while, the body is pulled upward with a constant limiting speed.
Compute:

a) The current flowing in the circuit and the power provided by the dc generator when the limiting speed is reached.

b) The magnitude of the limiting speed.

c) The value of the resistance of the bar corresponding to which the body does not move at all.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the deal here is that I must show some working, but I feel like I'm wandering around in the dark not knowing what the question means by 'limiting speed'.

Does 'limiting speed' mean the maximum speed at which the mass can be raised?

I have found that the magnetic force acting on the bar due to the current and magnetic field is [itex]F = BIL = 75(0.2) = 15N[/itex] Where [itex]I = \frac{V}{R} = \frac{6}{0.08} = 75A[/itex]

[itex]emf = VBL[/itex] so [itex] v = \frac{emf}{BL} = 30ms^{-1}[/itex]

If that's correct, then it should be the speed at which the bar would move if it wasn't connected to the mass.

I am very confused about how to proceed, and would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,

BOAS

Attachments

• pf upload.PNG
    pf upload.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Limiting speed" since the bar accelerates from zero but reaches a constant speed eventually.

Are there more than one source of emf here?

Compute the current i in the bar based on the force it has to exert. Then, compute the velocity such that the sum of potential drops around the loop = 0, or sum of emf's = iR.

FAQ: Magnetic field and conducting rails

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force created by moving electric charges, such as in a wire conducting electricity. It is represented by magnetic field lines and can exert a force on other moving electric charges.

2. How are magnetic fields related to conducting rails?

Magnetic fields can be created and manipulated by the movement of electric charges, such as in the conducting rails of a circuit. When an electric current flows through the rails, it creates a magnetic field around the rails.

3. What is the purpose of conducting rails in a circuit?

The conducting rails in a circuit serve as a pathway for the electric current to flow through. They also help to create and control the magnetic field within the circuit, which is necessary for the proper functioning of many electronic devices.

4. How does a magnetic field affect the motion of charged particles in conducting rails?

Charged particles, such as electrons, in conducting rails experience a force when they move through a magnetic field. This force, known as the Lorentz force, causes the particles to move in a curved path, which is used to control the flow of electricity in many devices.

5. Can the strength of a magnetic field in conducting rails be changed?

Yes, the strength of a magnetic field in conducting rails can be changed by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the rails or by altering the shape and orientation of the rails. This allows for precise control over the magnetic field and the motion of charged particles within the circuit.

Back