Magnetic field and formulating an equation for a particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnetic field strength at a general point on the line between two wires using the equation B= μ0iD / π(D2 −d2). The distance r from the wires is determined by the distance to the mid-point and the arbitrary particle A, and can be expressed as (D2 - d2) / 2D. This is then substituted into the original equation to calculate the magnetic field strength.
shyguy79

Homework Statement

Consider a general point on the line joining the two wires and a distance d
away from the mid-point O.
By summing the magnetic field due to currents of magnitude i flowing in both the wires in the senses you found in (c), show that, on the line joining the two wires, the magnetic field strength is given by:

B= μ0iD / π(D2 −d2)

Homework Equations

B= μ0 i / π r

The Attempt at a Solution

My diagram is attached.

Remembering that B(r) = μ0i / 2π r

From the diagram above then the position r of the arbitrary particle A from the right hand conductor would be the distance to the mid point D plus the distance to A and could be expressed as (D+d). whereas its position from the left hand conductor is the distance to the mid point minus the distance to A as (D - d). The vector cross product of the fields since they point in the same direction and at right angles to O would mean that the resultant is the product. Putting this together then r = (D + d)(D - d) which then equates to r = (D2 - d2).

The distance between the two conductors is then (D+D) = 2D. Putting this together then the distance r can be expressed as the ratio: r = (D2 - d2) / 2D.

I have a way to substitute r into the original equation... does this make sense?

Attachments

• TMA04-Q4c.jpg
    TMA04-Q4c.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
Now substituting the expression for r into the original equation then:B= μ0 i / π [(D2 - d2) / 2D] Simplifying this equation then:B= μ0iD / π(D2 −d2)

Related to Magnetic field and formulating an equation for a particle

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon created by moving electric charges or magnetic materials. It surrounds a magnet or an electric current and exerts a force on other moving charges or magnetic objects within its influence.

2. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field and converts it into a numerical value. The unit of measurement for magnetic field is Tesla (T).

3. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field of a particle?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field of a particle is B = μ0 * (q * v * sinθ) / (4π * r^2), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, θ is the angle between the velocity vector and the magnetic field vector, and r is the distance from the particle to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

4. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the distance from the source of the field, the magnitude of the electric charge or current producing the field, and the orientation of the field in relation to the object being affected. The type of material the object is made of can also affect the strength of the magnetic field.

5. How can the direction of a magnetic field be determined?

The direction of a magnetic field can be determined using a compass or a magnetometer. The north pole of a compass will point in the direction of the magnetic field lines, which are oriented from north to south. The direction of the field can also be determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current or motion, and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

Back