Magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis but outside the solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the EMF induced by a solenoid and the vector magnetic field inductance at a point outside the solenoid's length but on its axis. The solution is to google the magnetic field on the axis of a current loop at a distance from the loop and integrate over the solenoid's length. The conversation also mentions a helpful link for further information.
turo_loler
TL;DR Summary
For a personal project, I need to calculate the EMF induced by a solenoid, the problem is, that the secondary circuiit where the eddy currents are formed are outside the solenoid's length but on it's axis.
For a personal project, I need to calculate the EMF induced by a solenoid, the problem is, that the secondary circuit where the eddy currents are formed are outside the solenoid's length but still on it's axis.
The problem comes when i need to calculate the vector magnetic field inductance at a point outside the solenoid, i've been searching for quite a while but I have not managed to find an awnser, I just find keep finding that the net magnetic field vector due to ampere's law is near zero, but outsithe the radious of the solenoid, not ousithe the length of the solenoid
A graphical representation of my problem:

1686347589344.png

Physics news on Phys.org
In Gaussian units, B is
$$B=\frac{2\pi nI}{c}\left[\frac{L/2-z}{\sqrt{(z-L/2)^2+a^2},
+\frac{(z+L/2)}{\sqrt{(z+L/2)^2+a^2}}\right]$$,
where ##n## is the number of turns per cm, ##I## is the current, ##a## is the radius, and ##z## is the distance along the axis from the center.
Why isn't latex working?

turo_loler said:
TL;DR Summary: For a personal project, I need to calculate the EMF induced by a solenoid, the problem is, that the secondary circuiit where the eddy currents are formed are outside the solenoid's length but on it's axis.

The problem comes when i need to calculate the vector magnetic field inductance at a point outside the solenoid
Google the magnetic field in axis of a current loop a distance ##z## from the loop (the off-axis field is moderately nasty but the on axis field is a simple expression). Then work out how many turns per unit length you have and integrate over the length of the solenoid.
Meir Achuz said:
Why isn't latex working?
You have unbalanced {} in the denominator of the first fraction inside the square brackets.

Likes Meir Achuz and turo_loler
Meir Achuz said:
In Gaussian units, B is
$$B=\frac{2\pi nI}{c}\left[\frac{L/2-z}{\sqrt{(z-L/2)^2+a^2}}
+\frac{(z+L/2)}{\sqrt{(z+L/2)^2+a^2}}\right]$$,
where ##n## is the number of turns per cm, ##I## is the current, ##a## is the radius, and ##z## is the distance along the axis from the center.
Why isn't latex working?
It was a missing bracket in the first frac.

Likes Meir Achuz and turo_loler
Ibix said:
Google the magnetic field in axis of a current loop a distance ##z## from the loop (the off-axis field is moderately nasty but the on axis field is a simple expression). Then work out how many turns per unit length you have and integrate over the length of the solenoid.

You have unbalanced {} in the denominator of the first fraction inside the square brackets.
Perfect, just what i needed, thnks!

Likes Ibix

FAQ: Magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis but outside the solenoid

What is the magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis but outside the solenoid?

The magnetic field at a point along the solenoid's axis but outside the solenoid is significantly weaker than inside the solenoid. Ideally, for an infinitely long solenoid, the magnetic field outside is considered to be zero. For a finite solenoid, the field outside is not exactly zero but is much weaker compared to the field inside.

How does the length of the solenoid affect the magnetic field outside the solenoid?

The length of the solenoid affects the distribution of the magnetic field outside it. A longer solenoid will have a more confined magnetic field inside and a weaker field outside. As the solenoid length increases, the approximation that the field outside is negligible becomes more accurate.

Why is the magnetic field outside a long solenoid considered negligible?

The magnetic field outside a long solenoid is considered negligible because the field lines inside the solenoid are parallel and concentrated, while outside, they spread out and cancel each other due to symmetry. This results in a very weak and often negligible magnetic field outside the solenoid.

Can the magnetic field outside a solenoid be measured accurately?

Yes, the magnetic field outside a solenoid can be measured accurately using sensitive instruments such as a Hall effect sensor or a magnetometer. However, due to its weak nature, the measurements need to be done carefully to avoid interference from other magnetic sources.

How does the number of turns per unit length of the solenoid affect the magnetic field outside it?

The number of turns per unit length of the solenoid primarily affects the magnetic field inside the solenoid. While it does influence the magnetic field outside, the effect is less pronounced. More turns per unit length increase the field strength inside the solenoid, but outside, the field remains weak and spread out.