Magnetic Field at center of a Square loop

In summary: I already figured out how to do the problem. No offense, but none of your replies helped in any way, at all. This isn't me trying to come at you in any way. I just found your replies to be either not relevant to the question, or just really vague like your last reply. Thanks for trying to help anyways though.
Elvis 123456789

Homework Statement

A square wire loop 12.0 cm on each side carries a clockwise current of 15.0 A

Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at its center due to the four 1.30 −mm wire segments at the midpoint of each side.

Homework Equations

B = (μ0*I)/(4π)*(2a)/(x√(x^2+a^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation for magnetic field at the center of the square loop due to one wire and then multiplied it by 4 since the contribution due to each wire segment is the same by symmetry.

B = 4*(4π*10^-7*15)/(4π)*(2*0.06)/(0.06*√(0.06^2+0.06^2))

B = 1.41*10^-4 T

This answer is wrong and I don't know why

Physics news on Phys.org
Elvis 123456789 said:
I used the above equation for magnetic field at the center of the square loop due to one wire and then multiplied it by 4 since the contribution due to each wire segment is the same by symmetry.

are you permitted to add them like scalars -as they are magnetic field vectors and their addition-rules are different.

drvrm said:
are you permitted to add them like scalars -as they are magnetic field vectors and their addition-rules are different.
As far as i know, the contributions from each wire are equal and in the same direction, so i can add them.

Elvis 123456789 said:
As far as i know, the contributions from each wire are equal and in the same direction, so i can add them.

You might have heared about Biot-Savart Law for calculating the B field due to current element -or see a reference to see the direction of the field.
Ref.http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcur.html

drvrm said:
You might have heared about Biot-Savart Law for calculating the B field due to current element -or see a reference to see the direction of the field.
Ref.http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcur.html
Yes, I used the law from scratch to end up with the result that I have. My problem is that I don't know where I am going wrong.

Elvis 123456789 said:
Yes, I used the law from scratch to end up with the result that I have. My problem is that I don't know where I am going wrong.

Elvis 123456789 said:
A square wire loop 12.0 cm on each side carries a clockwise current of 15.0 A

Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at its center due to the four 1.30 −mm wire segments at the midpoint of each side.

what is in your opinion the correct answer should be and how it differs from your calculation.?

drvrm said:
what is in your opinion the correct answer should be and how it differs from your calculation.?
I already figured out how to do the problem. No offense, but none of your replies helped in any way, at all. This isn't me trying to come at you in any way. I just found your replies to be either not relevant to the question, or just really vague like your last reply. Thanks for trying to help anyways though.

Related to Magnetic Field at center of a Square loop

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a force field created by moving electric charges. It is invisible to the human eye but can be detected and measured using instruments.

How is a magnetic field at the center of a square loop created?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of electric charges. In a square loop, electric current flows through the wires, creating a circular magnetic field around the loop. At the center of the loop, the magnetic field lines are perpendicular to the loop and form a uniform field.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field at the center of a square loop?

The strength of the magnetic field at the center of a square loop depends on the current flowing through the loop, the number of turns in the loop, and the distance from the center of the loop.

How can the direction of the magnetic field at the center of a square loop be determined?

The direction of the magnetic field at the center of a square loop is determined by the direction of the current in the loop. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

What are some real-world applications of a magnetic field at the center of a square loop?

A magnetic field at the center of a square loop has various applications, including in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines and particle accelerators.