Magnetic field by infinite wire: convergence of integral

In summary, the integral represents the magnetic field generated by an infinitely long wire carrying a current. It converges if and only if the parametrization of the curve is piecewise smooth.
DavideGenoa
Let ##\boldsymbol{l}:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}^3## be the piecewise smooth parametrization of an infinitely long curve ##\gamma\subset\mathbb{R}^3##. Let us define $$\boldsymbol{B}(\boldsymbol{x})=\frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi}\int_\gamma\frac{d\boldsymbol{l}\times(\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{l})}{\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{l}\|^3}=\frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{\boldsymbol{l}'(t)\times(\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{l}(t))}{\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{l}(t)\|^3}dt.$$A physical interpretation of the integral is that ##\boldsymbol{B}## represents the magnetic field generated by an infinitely long wire ##\gamma## carrying a current ##I##, whith ##\mu_0## representing vacuum permeabilty.

Can we be sure that the integral converges in general and, if we can, how can it be proved?

I am posting here rather than in calculus because I suppose that the best way to approach the problem is by using the techniques of Lebesgue integration.

I notice that every component of the integral is the difference of two terms having the form ##l_i'(t)(x_j-l_i(t))\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{l}(t)\|^{-3}##, and I see that ##|l_i'(t)(x_j-l_i(t))|\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{l}(t)\|^{-3}\le |l_i'(t)||x_j-l_i(t)|^{-2}##, but the absolute value does not allow me to use the rule ##l_i'(t)dt=dl_i##...

Thank you so much for any answer!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DavideGenoa said:
Can we be sure that the integral converges in general and, if we can, how can it be proved?
No, it is relatively easy to construct a counter-example. For example, consider the case when your curve just is a circular loop going round and round. A single turn of the loop will result in a finite magnetic field, but you have an infinite number of loops and the integral therefore does not converge.

Likes DavideGenoa
Orodruin said:
No, it is relatively easy to construct a counter-example.
Then, when we state laws like Ampère's ##\oint\boldsymbol{B}\cdot d\boldsymbol{x}=\mu_0 I_{\text{enclosed}}## with ##\boldsymbol{B}(\boldsymbol{x})=\frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi}\int_\gamma\frac{d\boldsymbol{l}\times(\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{l})}{\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{l}\|^3}## I suppose we impose other, stricter, assumption on ##\gamma## than its piecewise smoothness. What other conditions?
I heartily thank you and anybody wishing to add for your answer(s)!

Related to Magnetic field by infinite wire: convergence of integral

1. What is a magnetic field created by an infinite wire?

The magnetic field created by an infinite wire is a type of magnetic field that is formed by a long, straight wire with no end points or boundaries. The field is created by the movement of charged particles within the wire.

2. How is the magnetic field by an infinite wire calculated?

The magnetic field by an infinite wire is calculated using the Biot-Savart Law, which states that the magnetic field at a certain point is directly proportional to the current passing through the wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

3. What is the convergence of integral in relation to the magnetic field by an infinite wire?

The convergence of integral in this context refers to the mathematical process of evaluating the magnetic field created by an infinite wire at a specific point. This is done by integrating the Biot-Savart Law over the length of the wire.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field by an infinite wire?

The strength of the magnetic field by an infinite wire is affected by several factors, including the amount of current passing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the angle between the wire and the point at which the field is being measured.

5. Can the magnetic field by an infinite wire be shielded or blocked?

No, the magnetic field by an infinite wire cannot be completely shielded or blocked. However, materials with high magnetic permeability can partially redirect the field, resulting in a weaker field at certain points.