Magnetic Field Calculation for Faux-Pas Currents

• Thread starter danielakkerma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field at a specific point (Point A) from an infinite current reaching a semi-infinite plane. The person asking for help has attempted to use Bio-Savart's law and Ampere-Maxwell's law, but has encountered difficulties due to the lack of a symbol for Point A on the diagram. They also discuss the possibility of using a relative, angle-dependent current (I') to simplify the problem. However, their calculations do not match the expected answer and they are seeking suggestions and help from others.
danielakkerma
Currents & Magnetic fields

Homework Statement

Hey folks... I won't bore you with all the details(those that I deem irrelevant) but simply state my cause of privation on this issue:
(Attached, in PDF format is an illustration).
"A infinite current reaches a semi-infinite plane consisting of a well conducting medium. as a result, it disperses evenly, radially symmetrically across the plane with the total value(shown as 'I') preserved!(See graph for greater legibility)."
I am impelled to find the magnetic field at the Point A(symbol, sadly missing on the diagram, but its nonetheless conspicuous), located at the angle Theta(constant, naturally), from the original perpendicular course of the current(as demonstrated), and at a distance r, therein.

Homework Equations

Instantly, Bio-Savart's law comes to mind:
[tex]d\vec{B} = \frac{{\mu}_0}{4 \pi}I \int \frac{d\vec{l}\times{\hat{r}}}{r^2}[/tex]
You might want to throw in Ampere-Maxwell's law(though, there isn't an Amperian loop pertaining to this geometry, that could well embroider the entire current):
(With dE/dt = 0):
[tex]\oint \vec{B} \cdot {d\vec{l}}={\mu}_0 \sum I[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, Initially, I first lingered on the subject of the inherent symmetry, evident from the statement of the problem.
I postulated, that in this case, the current is distributed evenly(as mentioned) across the various angles, through the following law: Defining a relative(angle dependent quantity)I' one gets:
[tex]dI'=\frac{I}{\pi}*d\alpha[/tex]
Where one expects alpha to traverse through 0 to Pi.
Integrating it, does yield I, as expected(meaning, the total current, as predicted, is the same I to begin with).
Now, for the redefinition of Bio-Savart's law:
Since the Plane is Semi infinite, I can assume that 'current' I' starts at an arbitrary point zero(in our case, where the initial current and the plane converge) all the way to infinity(these radii, on which the current travels are straight), produce a magnetic field as if due to a simple wire(semi infinite) whose equation, I trust I don't have to prove to you is given by:
[tex]\vec{B}(I')=\frac{{\mu}_0 I'}{4 \pi r}*(\hat{I} \times \hat{r})[/tex]
r- being the perpendicular from the destination to the current, and I-hat is the perceived orientation of the current(fictitious, since I is a scalar).
As you can see on your chart, on the right hand side, each r(the distance) is easily measured as the Cos(Theta+alpha), where Alpha, is measured from the boundary of the plane to Pi/2- Theta.
On the left, by employing Beta, an angle from the other axis to perpendicular to the margin of the surface carried from Theta, to Pi respectively.(But there
So, there I am, naively perhaps, thinking, that this is a mere summation;(:)) I simply rendered it as:
[tex]\vec{B}=\int{d\vec{B}}=\frac{{\mu}_o}{4 \pi r}*(\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta}_0\frac{{d\alpha}}{cos(\alpha+\theta)}-
\int^{\pi}_{\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta}\frac{{d\beta}}{sin(\theta+\beta)})[/tex]
This amounts to, after several handy reductions here and there, to a natural logarithm of Tan(Theta/2) + the hyperbolic Sin due to the integration of the Cos.
In this arena, it is inconceivable, both mathematically and physically that we should see a logarithmic decrement, especially one proportional to the angle, and plus the answer's all fumbled too, and doesn't match the one granted by the author :D(so you have Math & the drafter of the question is accord, pretty strong argument :)).
I leave it to you then,
With gratitude,
And thanks for your tolerance of my circumlocution,
Thank you!
Daniel

Attachments

• exponent1.pdf
    84.8 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Any suggestion would be most welcome...
Reliant upon your help,
Thanks,
Daniel

Related to Magnetic Field Calculation for Faux-Pas Currents

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges and is typically represented by magnetic field lines.

2. What are Faux-Pas currents?

Faux-Pas currents are non-physical currents that can occur in certain materials and structures when exposed to a magnetic field. They can result in unexpected and unwanted effects, such as energy loss and interference.

3. Why is it important to calculate magnetic fields for Faux-Pas currents?

Calculating magnetic fields for Faux-Pas currents is crucial for understanding and mitigating their effects. By accurately predicting the strength and direction of the magnetic field, engineers and scientists can design and optimize systems to minimize the impact of Faux-Pas currents.

4. How is the magnetic field calculated for Faux-Pas currents?

Magnetic field calculation for Faux-Pas currents involves using mathematical equations and computer simulations to model the behavior of the electric charges in the material or structure. Factors such as the geometry, material properties, and external magnetic field strength are taken into account to determine the resulting magnetic field.

5. What are some applications of magnetic field calculation for Faux-Pas currents?

Magnetic field calculation for Faux-Pas currents is important in a variety of industries, including power generation, transportation, and electronics. It is used to design efficient transformers, motors, and generators, as well as to prevent interference in electronic circuits and protect sensitive equipment from magnetic fields.