Magnetic Field due to a Long Straight Wire (Proof)

In summary, the conversation was about understanding the result for the magnetic field due to a long straight wire, which can be found by integrating the Biot-Savart equation. The individual was struggling to understand the necessity of certain relationships and how to use them in the integration. They were eventually able to understand the derivation with the help of clarifications.
FatPhysicsBoy

Homework Statement

vf0ox.png

Whilst revising the Biot-Savart law, I came across the result:
magcur3.gif

for the magnetic field due to a long straight wire. I understand that this can be found by integrating the Biot-Savart equation over the length of the wire, however after attempting the integral myself and looking at the integration in my notes I find myself unable to understand how to come to the result.

Homework Equations

72c45a37f39a11fd433909be250d7260.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Outlined above. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you clarify what confuses you about the integral? The way to set it up would be as an integral over [itex]z[/itex], say, along the wire, with each wire element [itex]dz[/itex] contributing to the field at P based on the distance to point P and the angle between the radius vector and the z-axis.

This is the proof from my lecture notes:
2gspbfm.png

I understand where the cross product has been replaced with dssinθ up to the integral of sinθ/r2.

I also understand the first relationship r2 = s2 + R2 as just being Pythagoras, however I do not understand it's necessity, also I do not understand the second relationship involving sinθ either.

So I suppose you could say I don't understand the relationships, and also why and how they are used.

In order to do the integral, you have to write it in terms of a single variable. Here, the writer chose s as the variable of integration, so he has to eliminate ##\theta## and r in favor or s. R is a constant as far as the integral is concerned.

This is not the only way to do it. You can also do it by using ##\theta## as the integration variable, in which case you have to eliminate s and r. You should of course end up with the same final result.

You can also (at least in principle) use r as the integration variable. I've never done it that way in this particular example, but I've done something similar in other situations.

jtbell said:
In order to do the integral, you have to write it in terms of a single variable. Here, the writer chose s as the variable of integration, so he has to eliminate ##\theta## and r in favor or s. R is a constant as far as the integral is concerned.

This is not the only way to do it. You can also do it by using ##\theta## as the integration variable, in which case you have to eliminate s and r. You should of course end up with the same final result.

You can also (at least in principle) use r as the integration variable. I've never done it that way in this particular example, but I've done something similar in other situations.

Oh ok yeah I see, however I still do not understand this relationship then:

sin(∏-θ) = R/(s2 + R2)0.5

Theta is the outside angle in that diagram, pi-theta makes it the inside angle so that you can use the simple definition (sin theta = opp / hyp) to remove the theta from the equation.

Villyer said:
Theta is the outside angle in that diagram, pi-theta makes it the inside angle so that you can use the simple definition (sin theta = opp / hyp) to remove the theta from the equation.

Thank you, I fully understand the derivation now!

FAQ: Magnetic Field due to a Long Straight Wire (Proof)

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as the electrons in a wire.

2. How is a magnetic field created by a long straight wire?

When an electrical current flows through a long, straight wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

3. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field due to a long straight wire?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field, B, due to a long straight wire is B = (μ0 * I) / (2π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

4. How does the distance from the wire affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This is because the magnetic field lines spread out as they get further from the wire, resulting in a weaker field at a greater distance.

5. What is the direction of the magnetic field due to a long straight wire at different points?

The direction of the magnetic field due to a long straight wire is always perpendicular to the wire and forms concentric circles around the wire. The direction of the field can be determined by using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

Back