Magnetic field due to a long, straight wire

Meow12
Homework Statement
A magnetic field of 91.4 T has been achieved at the High Magnetic Field Laboratory in Dresden, Germany. Find the current needed to achieve such a field 2.00 cm from a long, straight wire.
Relevant Equations
Ampere's law: ##\displaystyle\oint\vec B\cdot d\vec l=\mu_0 I##
From Ampere's law, ##\displaystyle\oint\vec B\cdot d\vec l=\mu_0 I## where ##r## is the distance from the wire

##B\cdot 2\pi r=\mu_0 I##

##\displaystyle 91.4\times 2\pi\left(\frac{2}{100}\right)=4\pi\times 10^{-7} I##

##I=91.4\times 10^5\ A=9.14\ \rm{MA}##

But the answer given in the textbook is ##3.72\ \rm{MA}##. Where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work and your numerical answer look good to me.

Likes MatinSAR, Delta2 and Meow12
Thanks; I guess the textbook is wrong, then.

Likes TSny
I also agree, but try to find the distance such that the total current is as textbook says.

I mean to find the distance from the wire such that at this distance the magnetic field is 91.4T when the wire carries 3.72MA

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR

Related to Magnetic field due to a long, straight wire

What is the formula for the magnetic field due to a long, straight wire?

The magnetic field (B) at a distance (r) from a long, straight wire carrying a current (I) is given by the formula \( B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r} \), where \( \mu_0 \) is the permeability of free space, approximately \( 4\pi \times 10^{-7} \, \text{T}\cdot\text{m}/\text{A} \).

How does the direction of the magnetic field relate to the current in the wire?

The direction of the magnetic field around a long, straight wire is given by the right-hand rule. If you point the thumb of your right hand in the direction of the current, the fingers curl around the wire in the direction of the magnetic field.

What happens to the magnetic field if the current in the wire is doubled?

If the current in the wire is doubled, the magnetic field at any given distance from the wire will also double. This is because the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current, as shown in the formula \( B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r} \).

How does the magnetic field vary with distance from the wire?

The magnetic field decreases with increasing distance from the wire. Specifically, the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire, as indicated by the formula \( B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r} \).

What is the significance of the permeability of free space (\( \mu_0 \)) in the formula?

The permeability of free space (\( \mu_0 \)) is a constant that characterizes the ability of the vacuum to support the formation of a magnetic field. It plays a crucial role in determining the strength of the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying wire. Its value is approximately \( 4\pi \times 10^{-7} \, \text{T}\cdot\text{m}/\text{A} \).