Magnetic Field (Hollow Copper Pipe)

In summary, using the integral form of Ampere's law, the magnetic induction B was calculated for different regions of a long, hollow copper pipe with a uniform current I flowing through its walls. B was found to be 0 for r < a, (μ0Ib/2π(b-a)^2) for a < r < b, and (μ0I/2πr) for r > b. However, in part (ii), the calculation for B was incorrect and should have been (μ0Ir/2π(b-a)).
roam

Homework Statement

The figure below shows a long, hollow copper pipe.

The inner radius of the pipe is a and the outer radius is b. A uniform current I flows in the walls of the pipe. You may assume that the permeability of copper is the same as free space, that is, ##\mu_0##. Use the integral form of Ampere's law to find:

(i) The magnetic induction B for r<a

(ii) The magnetic induction B for a<r<b

(iii) The magnetic induction B for r>b

Homework Equations

Ampere's law in integral form

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Since I enclosed is 0

##\oint B . dl = B 2 \pi r = \mu_0 I \implies B=0##

(ii) ##B 2 \pi r = \mu_0 I##

Here I think the I enclosed is ##\frac{I'}{I}= \frac{\pi r^2}{\pi (b-a)^2} \implies I' = \frac{I r^2}{(b-a)^2}##. So

##B 2 \pi r = \mu_0 \frac{I r^2}{(b-a)^2} \implies B= \frac{\mu_0 I r}{2 \pi (b-a)^2}##.

(iii) For the magnetic induction outside

##B 2 \pi r = \mu_0 I \implies B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}##

Is my working correct? I'm mostly doubtful about (i) and (ii). For (ii) shouldn't B be equal to zero inside the material, since copper is diamagnetic?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like your answer are correct.

(b) is incorrect.

Let r = b, then your expression gives B = μ0Ib/2π(b - a)2
whereas you know the answer should be the same as for part c which you got right.

You need to look at this part carefully. Hint: the difference in cross-sectional area between radii r and a is not π(r - a)2, r > a. What is it?

Related to Magnetic Field (Hollow Copper Pipe)

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a force field that surrounds a magnet or a current-carrying wire. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons.

2. How does a hollow copper pipe affect a magnetic field?

A hollow copper pipe can act as a shield to a magnetic field. When a magnet or current-carrying wire is placed inside the pipe, the pipe's conductive material creates an opposite magnetic field that cancels out the original field.

3. What is the purpose of using a hollow copper pipe in a magnetic field?

The purpose of using a hollow copper pipe in a magnetic field is to reduce or eliminate the effects of the magnetic field. This technique is often used in electronic devices to prevent interference from external magnetic fields.

4. How is the strength of a magnetic field affected by a hollow copper pipe?

The strength of a magnetic field is reduced when it passes through a hollow copper pipe. This is due to the pipe's conductive material creating an opposing magnetic field that weakens the original field.

5. Are there any other materials that can affect a magnetic field in a similar way?

Yes, other conductive materials such as aluminum, silver, and gold can also affect a magnetic field in a similar way as a hollow copper pipe. However, copper is often preferred due to its high conductivity and low cost.