Magnetic field in and around a conductive hollow cylinder

phys9928
Homework Statement
I am trying to solve for the magnetic field in and around a hollow, conductive cylinder that is placed in an axially directed external field. However I have more unspecified constants than unknowns. Under what conditions is such a problem solvable and what ?
Relevant Equations
Helmholtz and Laplace equations in polar coordinates.
My attempt at a solution:

Cylindrical coordinate system with ##r##, ##\theta##, ##z##. Conductivity ##\sigma## and permeability ##\mu_0##. Inner radius ##a## and outer radius ##b##. (##b>a##)

The external field is spatially uniform and driven at sinusoidally at frequency ##f##. The external field is given by ##\vec{B} = B_0 \exp(i 2 \pi f)##

I solve the Helmholtz equation within the rod ##(a<r<b)##, and the Laplace equation everywhere else ##(b<r<a)##. I assume ##z## derivatives are zero due to infinite rod and ##\theta## derivatives are zero due to rotational symmetry.

Therefore my general solution is:

$$
B(r) = \left.
\begin{cases}
a + b\ln{r}, & \text{for } 0 \leq r \leq a \\
c J_0(kr) + dY_0(kr), & \text{for } a \leq r \leq b \\
e + f\ln{r}, & \text{for } b \leq r \leq \infty
\end{cases}
\right\}
$$

Where ##J_0## and ##Y_0## are Bessel functions of the first and second kind.

However, my boundary conditions are:

- ##B(0)## = bounded

- ##B(r=\infty) = B_0##

- ##B(r = a^+) = B(r = a^-)##

- ##B(r = b^+) = B(r = b^-)##

Therefore I am left with four equations and five unknowns. Am I missing a condition (sommerfield radiation or something like that?) or have I made a mistake and the question is ill-posed?

In the case of a solid cylinder there are no issues with this approach as the Bessel function ##Y_0## is neglected due to the boundedness at ##r=0##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with Maxwell's equations. If the cylinder is conducting and you have a time-varying magnetic field, there are induced eddy currents and you will need Faraday's law.

Also, please fix your LaTeX to make it more legible for this site. To see how, click "LaTeX Guide" lower left, above "Attach files".

This ##~\vec{B} = B_0 \exp(i 2 \pi f)~## should be ##~\vec{B} = B_0 \exp(i 2 \pi f t).##

kuruman said:
Also, please fix your LaTeX to make it more legible for this site.
I fixed their LaTeX for them now. They were using double-$ delimiters for in-line LaTeX (fixed that to double-#). :smile:

Likes kuruman