Magnetic field of a Coaxial Cable

In summary, a coaxial cable with dimensions a = 1.20 cm, b = 5.40 cm, and c = 7.30 cm has equal and opposite currents of 5.00 A in the conductors. The problem asks to find the magnitude of the magnetic field at a distance of 0.36 cm from the center axis. Using the equation \ointB*dl=μ_0*I_enclosed, the solution involves finding the enclosed current, which is not enclosed for the outer portion of the wire. Thus, the equation B=I*r/2∏a2 is used, but it does not give the correct answer. It is important to note that 0.36 cm is within
evanclear

Homework Statement

A long coaxial cable consists of two concentric conductors with dimensions a = 1.20 cm, b = 5.40 cm and c = 7.30 cm. There are equal and opposite currents of 5.00 A in the conductors. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at a distance of 0.36 cm from the center axis.

Homework Equations

[itex]\oint[/itex]B*dl=μ_0*I_enclosed

The Attempt at a Solution

Far as i can tell because the outer portion of the wire is not enclosed I enclosed for that portion of the problem is 0 so:

B=I*r[itex]/[/itex]2∏a2

But I'm not getting the right answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• CoaxialCable.gif
    CoaxialCable.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 803
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
0.36cm is within the inner cable - just some fraction of the 5A current flow in the inner wire is enclosed in your integral.
You can assume that (electric) current density is constant in the wire.

Related to Magnetic field of a Coaxial Cable

1. What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of cable used to transmit electrical signals. It consists of a central conductor, surrounded by an insulating layer, a conductive shielding layer, and an outer insulating layer. The design of a coaxial cable allows for the transmission of high-frequency signals with minimal interference.

2. How does a coaxial cable create a magnetic field?

A coaxial cable creates a magnetic field due to the flow of electrical current through its central conductor. This current generates a magnetic field that surrounds the cable. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the cable.

3. Does the magnetic field of a coaxial cable affect nearby electronic devices?

Yes, the magnetic field of a coaxial cable can affect nearby electronic devices. This is because the magnetic field can cause interference with the electrical signals in other devices, leading to distorted or corrupted data. It is important to properly shield and ground coaxial cables to minimize this interference.

4. How can I measure the strength of the magnetic field of a coaxial cable?

The strength of the magnetic field of a coaxial cable can be measured using a Gaussmeter. This device measures the magnetic field in units of Gauss or Tesla. The measurement can be taken at different points along the cable to determine the strength of the field at various locations.

5. Can the magnetic field of a coaxial cable be manipulated or controlled?

The magnetic field of a coaxial cable can be manipulated or controlled by varying the amount of current flowing through the cable, or by changing the distance between the cable and other objects. Special materials, such as ferromagnetic cores, can also be used to manipulate the magnetic field. Proper cable design and installation can also help control the magnetic field.