Magnetic field of bent wire for a point along parallel axis

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic field on the z-axis caused by a long wire bent into two parallel line segments that extend to -∞ and a semicircle with radius R. The Biot-Savart Law and the equation (μ0/4π) I = ∫ dl' x R/ R^2 are used to solve the problem. The solution is broken into two parts, one for the infinite wires and one for the semicircle. The magnetic field due to the infinite wires is found to be μ0 I/2πR, while the magnetic field due to the semicircle is calculated using dl' = Rdθ [sinθ, 0, cosθ] and R = [
Treefrog

Homework Statement

Long wire is bent such that it forms two parallel line segments that goes to -∞ along the z-axis and a semicircle of radius (R). Find magnetic field on Z axis.

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law
(μ0/4π) I = ∫ dl' x R/ R^2

where dl' is element of length and R is the unit vector, and R is the vector from source to point on z-axis

The Attempt at a Solution

So my attempt. I broke the problem into two parts. Magnetic field due to semicircle and magnetic field due to infinite wires.

For the infinite wires I got

B= μ0 I/2πR

which I'm pretty sure is correct.

The problem I'm having is calculating the magnetic field due to the semicircle

dl' = Rdθ [sinθ, 0, cosθ]

R = [Rcosθ, 0, Rsinθ+z]

R^2= (Rcosθ)^2 + (Rsinθ+z)^2

(dl' x R) = R^2+Rzsinθ dθ

B = μ0/4π ∫ {(R^2+Rzsinθ)/(Rcosθ)^2 + (Rsinθ+z)^2 } dθ

I feel like a made mistake somewhere.
Since if z=0
magnetic field due to the semicircle should be

B = μ0*I/2R

but that's not what my answer is showing.

Any help would greatly appreciated.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the orientation of the semicircle relative to the z-axis?

Related to Magnetic field of bent wire for a point along parallel axis

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in electric currents.

2. How is a magnetic field of a bent wire calculated?

The magnetic field of a bent wire at a point along a parallel axis can be calculated using the formula B = (μ0I/4π)(2Lsinθ/(s1+s2)^2), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, L is the length of the wire, θ is the angle between the wire and the parallel axis, and s1 and s2 are the distances from the point to the two straight segments of the wire.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a bent wire?

The direction of the magnetic field around a bent wire is determined by the right-hand rule. If the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the current, then your curled fingers will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the shape of a bent wire affect its magnetic field?

The shape of a bent wire can affect its magnetic field in several ways. For example, the angle of the bend and the distance between the two straight segments of the wire can impact the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a given point. Additionally, the presence of nearby objects or other wires can also influence the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of the magnetic field of a bent wire?

The magnetic field of a bent wire has many practical applications, including in motors and generators, where it is used to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy or vice versa. It is also used in magnetic compasses, particle accelerators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. Additionally, understanding the magnetic field of a bent wire is important in designing and optimizing electronic devices and circuits.