Magnetic field of plane current/solenoid (Griffiths ex. 5.8 and 5.9)

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic fields of plane currents and solenoids in Griffiths' introduction to electro dynamics. Examples 5.8 and 5.9 explain that certain components of the magnetic fields are zero due to symmetry and current reversal arguments. The conversation then asks why the Z-component of a current in the xy plane is zero and why there is no radial component of the field in a solenoid with a circumferential surface current. The speaker eventually realizes that the magnetic field would still be the same if they stood on their head, indicating that the direction of the current does not affect the field.
wizzart
Time for me to feel stupid again:

In Griffiths' introduction to electro dynamics examples 5.8 and 5.9 the magnetic fields of plane currents and solenoids are discussed. In both, certain components of the magnetic fields are said to be zero based on symmetry and current reversal arguments. I'm a believer, just don't understand WHY.

For those who don't own Griffiths:
-Why is the Z-component of a current in the xy plane zero (i.o.w. why can't it change if the direction of the current is reversed).
-Why is there no radial component of the field of a solenoid with a circumferential surface current?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think I figured it out. For instance, in the case of the solenoid: if instead of reversing the current or rotating the solenoid 180 deg. I stand on my head and look at the magnetic field, I should still see the same field...

If this is correct, I apologize for the forum pollution.

Related to Magnetic field of plane current/solenoid (Griffiths ex. 5.8 and 5.9)

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a force field that surrounds a magnetic object and exerts a force on other magnetic objects or charged particles.

2. How is a magnetic field created by a plane current?

A plane current, or a current flowing through a flat surface, creates a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the current and decreases in strength as the distance from the current increases.

3. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is tightly wound in a helix shape. When a current flows through the solenoid, it creates a magnetic field along the axis of the coil.

4. How does the magnetic field of a solenoid differ from that of a plane current?

The magnetic field of a solenoid is similar to that of a plane current in that it is perpendicular to the current and decreases with distance. However, the field inside a solenoid is more uniform and concentrated, while the field outside of a solenoid is minimal.

5. What is the right-hand rule for determining the direction of a magnetic field?

The right-hand rule states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, then the direction of your curled fingers represents the direction of the magnetic field around the current.

Back