Magnetic field relativistic effect

In summary: That it's not real?The magnetic field is just a potential. It is not real in the sense that it doesn't have any physical existence. However, it does have a physical existence in the sense that it is a part of the electromagnetic field.
cabrera
Hi Forum,

It is said that the Magnetic field is a relativistic effect. I went to the Feynman lectures on Physics and found an example based on the force a charged has when moving at speed v next to a conductor with a current density J. I understand that the framework at rest uses a magnetic field to explain the force that makes the particle to move closer to the conductor, when the framework is on the particle there is unbalance of charge density that produces an electric field, which in turn, induces a force on the particle.

So far so good, but what about the magnetic field produced by a magnetic material? There are no current there. We use the concept of magnetic momentum and some free currents to explain its origin. How is relativity used to explain its origin?

Last but not least, can we conclude that magnetic fields are not real, just a relativistic effect of electric fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a current there too. Its just at a very small scale. All individual matter particles found around us have an intrinsic magnetic moment associated with them. But they are, in general randomly oriented and in non-magnetic substances, more or less canceled out. In magnets ( for example bar magnets) these moments are aligned creating a non-zero magnetic field. The phenomenon then goes into the quantum realm and you need to couple relativity and quantum mechanics. Now, that is a field of research.

Last but not least, can we conclude that magnetic fields are not real, just a relativistic effect of electric fields?
Magnetic fields are very much real. They just appear zero in a particular reference frame. In the example you cited, the asymmetrical (or rather anti-symmetrical) length change in the lengths of the conductor carrying positive and negative charge carriers causes a non-zero "electrostatic" force from the the frame of reference of the charge. When observed from a rest frame, we still see forces on the charge. And hence, we conclude that a certain other field exists. This is the magnetic field. Again, it is very much real and is one of the two fields involved in electromagnetic waves.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Magnetic fields coming from spin alignment arise out of relativistic quantum mechanics-it is not a purely classical effect like the magnetic field due to a current in a wire. As for your second question, magnetic fields are certainly real. You can find frames where magnetic fields vanish sure but since there exist inertial frames where magnetic fields don't vanish, you cannot claim the fields aren't "real".

cabrera said:

Why do you think this makes the magnetic field any less real?

Vanadium 50,

I assumed it was a relativistic effect(the magnetic field) from the electric field. As I said, the force on a charge moving at speed v induced by a current density, J, in a wire could be explained either by a magnetic field, if the frame is at rest, or an electric field if the frame is on the charge. Fo both situations, same result, although the force has a different source (one magnetic and the other electric). So I thought that the Magnetic Field is just a relativistic effect of the electric field.

I am going through the answers

Sudu,

But the force that the charge "feels" is from a electric field. It is us who decide where the frame is. But as far as the charge is concerned there is only an electric field. Same problem can be solved with different physics depending of where the framework is, which I found no less than interesting

WannabeNewton said:
You can find frames where magnetic fields vanish

That depends on the field. There are magnetic fields that are non-vanishing in every inertial frame: the most obvious example is the magnetic field associated with an electromagnetic wave.

cabrera said:

Wait till you start studying the Aharonov-Bohm effect. In that case, the electric field is zero. The magnetic field is zero. But the electromagnetic field can still have an effect on an electron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aharonov–Bohm_effect

That makes one suspect that what is real is the vector potential Aμ. After all, what appears in QED is Aμ, not Ei or Bi.

Yet, it is a potential. So we can't directly measure it, only certain special values about it. And to some extent it is arbitrary due to gauge invariance.

Then you get into studying connections on principal fibre bundles, and life becomes very mathematical. I can still remember the question asked by one of my co-students in that class: Sir, what do you mean by "Lie algebra valued 1-form?"

PeterDonis said:
That depends on the field. There are magnetic fields that are non-vanishing in every inertial frame: the most obvious example is the magnetic field associated with an electromagnetic wave.
Yes indeed but I was commenting on his *possible* thought process that since we can have situations where Lorentz boosts make the magnetic field vanish, that they cannot be real; I didn't mean for it to be a general statement.

yeah, as people are saying, electric fields and magnetic fields are 'components' of the electromagnetic tensor. So in relativity, they are physically not separate concepts. (in the sense that only a combination of both fields gives a relativistic 'concept'). But there is no reason to say that the magnetic field is more real than the electric field. I think this is often said because there are only electric charges (no magnetic 'charges', or 'monopoles' to use the proper word). So some people like to think of the electric field as being the more important field, but both fields are important really.

BruceW said:
So some people like to think of the electric field as being the more important field, but both fields are important really.
Lol field discrimination.

hehe, they say B fields are from venus, E fields are from mars.

I like to look at it more like this: Without relativity, you could conceive of a pure coulomb theory of charge, similar to Newtonian gravity. Then, it seems that magnetism is an optional feature, added separately, to match observation. With relativity + charge, you are forced to have electromagnetism; you simply have a relativistic theory of charge that necessarily entails a frame dependent combination of electric and magnetic fields.

WannabeNewton, what is a Lorentz boost?

cabrera said:
WannabeNewton, what is a Lorentz boost?
It's just a Lorentz transformation in a certain direction.

Related to Magnetic field relativistic effect

1. What is the Magnetic Field Relativistic Effect?

The Magnetic Field Relativistic Effect is a phenomenon in which the magnetic field of a moving charged particle is distorted due to its motion relative to an observer. This effect is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity and is often referred to as the "FitzGerald-Lorentz contraction".

2. How does the Magnetic Field Relativistic Effect impact charged particles?

The Magnetic Field Relativistic Effect causes the magnetic field of a moving charged particle to appear stronger to an observer than it would to the particle itself. This means that a charged particle moving at high speeds will experience a stronger magnetic force than it would if it were at rest.

3. What is the difference between the Magnetic Field Relativistic Effect and the Electric Field Relativistic Effect?

The Magnetic Field Relativistic Effect and the Electric Field Relativistic Effect are two separate phenomena that occur due to the motion of charged particles. The Magnetic Field Relativistic Effect is the distortion of a magnetic field, while the Electric Field Relativistic Effect is the distortion of an electric field. Both are consequences of special relativity and have similar effects on charged particles.

4. Can the Magnetic Field Relativistic Effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Magnetic Field Relativistic Effect can be observed in everyday life. For example, the magnetic field of a moving electron in a particle accelerator will appear stronger to an observer outside of the accelerator than it would to the electron itself. This effect is also important in the design of particle accelerators and other high-speed devices.

5. How is the Magnetic Field Relativistic Effect calculated?

The Magnetic Field Relativistic Effect can be calculated using the Lorentz transformation equations, which describe how physical quantities such as length, time, and magnetic field strength change for observers in different reference frames. These equations take into account the velocity of the charged particle and the observer, as well as the strength of the magnetic field in the particle's frame of reference.