What Magnetic Field Strength Is Needed to Lift Ferritic Stainless Steel?

In summary, to calculate the current and magnetic field strength needed to pick up a 0.3125 lb. piece of ferritic stainless steel at an 80 degree angle, you can use the equation Fb = ILB and B = (\mu0I)/[4pi(y)]. After plugging in the values, you can rearrange the equations to find the current and magnetic field strength.
sherryjenix

Homework Statement

Hi, I am trying to calculate the current and magnetic field strength needed to pick up a 0.3125 lb. piece of a channel lock plier made of ferritic stainless steel (they have a soft magnetic component) on its y-axis (on the lighter part of the piece) at an 80 degree angle. The magnet would be located 9.36 in. above the piece of steel.

Homework Equations

Fb = ILB
Fb = qvB
B = ([tex]\mu[/tex]0I)/[4pi(y)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a freebody diagram and found that the magnetic force needed to pick up the piece of channel lock plier would be 12.3N. I did more research and found that a magnetic field force would only be exerted on moving charge particles.

Now I am stumped on how to find the current and magnetic field strength without knowing the other.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to use the equation Fb=qvB, but that didn't get me anywhere either. Can anyone help?You can use the equation Fb = ILB, where Fb is the magnetic force in Newtons, I is the current in Amps and LB is the length of the plier in meters. Plugging in the values given, you get: Fb = I(0.3125 lb)(9.36 in.) Rearranging, this gives you: I = (Fb)/((0.3125 lb)(9.36 in.)) Now you know the current, you can use the equation B = (\mu0I)/[4pi(y)] to calculate the magnetic field strength. Plugging in the values given, you get: B = (\mu0I)/[4pi(9.36 in.)] Rearranging, this gives you: B = (\mu0((Fb)/((0.3125 lb)(9.36 in.))))/[4pi(9.36 in.)] Therefore, you can calculate the magnetic field strength given the magnetic force needed to pick up the piece of channel lock plier.

Related to What Magnetic Field Strength Is Needed to Lift Ferritic Stainless Steel?

1. What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is a measure of the intensity of a magnetic field at a specific point in space. It is represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. Why is magnetic field strength needed?

Magnetic field strength is needed to understand and study the behavior of magnetic fields, which play important roles in various natural and technological processes. It is also necessary for practical applications such as designing and building magnetic devices.

3. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength is typically measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that detects and measures magnetic fields. The strength can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the magnetic field's properties and the distance from the source.

4. What factors affect magnetic field strength?

The strength of a magnetic field depends on the properties of the magnetic material or source, the distance from the source, and the orientation of the field relative to the measurement point. Additionally, the strength can be affected by external factors such as temperature and electric current.

5. How does magnetic field strength impact everyday life?

Magnetic field strength plays a crucial role in everyday life. It is responsible for the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation. It is also used in various technologies, including motors, generators, MRI machines, and credit cards. Understanding and controlling magnetic field strength is essential for many industries, from healthcare to telecommunications.