Magnetic field through ferrous material and across air gap

In summary, the magnetic field on the other side of a thick material and across an air gap will be weaker than if the material was not there.
Stugotz99
I am attempting to determine how strong a magnetic field will be on the other side of a thick material and then across an air gap.

For instance, I have a closed steel cylinder with a steel piston inside it. I plan to affix a permanent magnet to one side of the piston (inside the cylinder). I am looking to use another cylindrical magnet that can slide inside a separate stainless steel cylinder mounted outside and parallel to the first. My goal is to gage the position of the steel piston within the steel cylinder by viewing the position of the second magnet through windows in the SS cylinder. It will be necessary to have a small air gap between the two cylinders for mounting purposes. Hopefully this description makes sense. A hall effect sensor would work great to determine the magnet's position but I need a mechanical analogue thus not requiring any electric signal. Precision is not terribly critical, with relative position being more important.

So, I am attempting to calculate the required strength/size/material of the two magnets based on the thickness of the first steel cylinder and the air gap between the two cylinders.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field B (Tesla) is continuous (because div B = 0) across boundaries. If it is perpendicular to a surface, the normal component is the same on both sides. Stainless steels are either magnetic (martensitic, 400 series) or non magnetic (austenitic, 300 series).

Bob S

Well, after doing some more research, and ordering some expensive magnets, my research seems to disagree with what is being said.

Do materials not have different degrees of magnetic permeability? Remember, in my case the magnetic field must first pass through a carbon-steel cylinder.

Quick checks with a guass meter show that the magnetic field is being redistributed through the steel cylinder and is no longer as strong as it would be in free space...

This may not work after all...

div B = 0 in vacuum right?

The Relative Permeability of steel μ/μ0 = 100

I guess that means steel permits more than vacuum, which should give you a stronger field.

Last edited:
Only the normal component is continuous. The tangential components of B are discontinous for a material interface of two different permeabilities.

As a practical matter, a steel pipe will prevent your sensor from making an accurate position measurement. Switch to PVC and you will be in fine shape.

Related to Magnetic field through ferrous material and across air gap

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in magnets or electric currents.

How does a magnetic field interact with ferrous material?

A magnetic field has the ability to pass through ferrous material, also known as iron-containing material, due to its magnetic properties. The material can become magnetized and align with the magnetic field, creating a stronger magnetic force.

What is an air gap in relation to a magnetic field?

An air gap is a non-magnetic space or distance between two magnetic objects. This gap can affect the strength of the magnetic field passing through it, as it is a less conductive medium compared to ferrous material.

How does the strength of a magnetic field change through a ferrous material and across an air gap?

The strength of a magnetic field can decrease as it passes through a ferrous material due to the material's ability to absorb and redirect the magnetic field. It can also decrease across an air gap due to the non-conductive nature of air, causing the field to spread out and weaken.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the magnetic field through ferrous material and across air gaps?

Understanding how magnetic fields interact with ferrous material and air gaps is crucial in the development of technology such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also important in industries such as telecommunications, where the transmission of signals can be affected by magnetic fields passing through different materials and air gaps.

Back