Magnetic field uniformity problem

In summary, the magnetic field is uniform in the center of a circular cross-section at a distance R/2.
Callix

Homework Statement

While at an engineering internship, you reminisce about the similarities between gravitational fields, electric fields, and magnetic fields. You know that two infinite sheets of opposite charge can be used to create a uniform electric field (for points between the two sheets) and you know that two infinite arrays of opposite current carrying wires can produce a uniform magnetic field (for points between the two arrays), but the direction of your internship reminds you that there is another possibility. You recall that two large coils with N tight turns of radius R can yield a uniform magnetic field. If the two coils are separated by a distance R, where along the x-axis is the magnetic field uniform, and what additional calculations might you need in order to convince your director that the field is indeed uniform?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found an image that depicts how I was visualizing this scenario
Helmholtz_coil_config.jpg

Wouldn't the field simply be uniform along the x-axis? Or would it be specifically at the center of each ring/coil. I guess since the field decreases with increasing distance, then it would seem logical that the field is uniform at the centers.

Numerically, couldn't we obtain values of the field as a function of position, plot them, and determine where the derivatives are 0? Implying that the field is unchanging and thus uniform?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out eqn (8) here . Separation R gives the most uniform behavior at the center.

Callix said:
Wouldn't the field simply be uniform along the x-axis?
Certainly not everywhere. 100 km away the field will be weaker than close to the coils.
Callix said:
Or would it be specifically at the center of each ring/coil.
Why do you expect a uniform field there? Is there some other special point where the field might be uniform?
Callix said:
Numerically, couldn't we obtain values of the field as a function of position, plot them, and determine where the derivatives are 0? Implying that the field is unchanging and thus uniform?
Sure.

Yeah, I was just kind of rambling through my thought process without going back to remove it.. XD

At the time I observed each ring and thought it would be uniform at the center of each ring, but then after I realized that the other ring will have an affect as well.

mfb said:
Is there some other special point where the field might be uniform?

So I imagine the the only uniform point would be in the center of the circular cross-section at a distance R/2.

Callix said:
So I imagine the the only uniform point would be in the center of the circular cross-section at a distance R/2
Link in post #2 shows very good uniformity from -R/3 to + R/3 (their R = 0.2 m)

Not clear to me where "the center of the circular cross-section at a distance R/2" is located...

BvU said:
Link in post #2 shows very good uniformity from -R/3 to + R/3 (their R = 0.2 m)

Not clear to me where "the center of the circular cross-section at a distance R/2" is located...

Snapshot.jpg

Related to Magnetic field uniformity problem

1. What is a magnetic field uniformity problem?

A magnetic field uniformity problem refers to an issue where the magnetic field in a certain area is not consistent or evenly distributed. This can be caused by various factors such as the shape of the magnet, nearby objects, or external magnetic fields.

2. How does a magnetic field uniformity problem affect experiments?

A magnetic field uniformity problem can significantly impact the accuracy and reliability of experimental results. In experiments that require precise and consistent magnetic fields, any non-uniformity can introduce errors and lead to incorrect conclusions.

3. What are some potential solutions to a magnetic field uniformity problem?

One solution is to use a magnetic field mapping system to identify and correct any non-uniformities. Another approach is to use specialized magnets or shielding materials to minimize external magnetic interference. Additionally, properly designing the experimental setup can also help to reduce the impact of a magnetic field uniformity problem.

4. Can a magnetic field uniformity problem be completely eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate a magnetic field uniformity problem, it can be significantly reduced through proper design and setup. However, there will always be some level of non-uniformity present in any magnetic field.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to a magnetic field uniformity problem?

In general, a magnetic field uniformity problem does not pose any direct safety concerns. However, it is important to be aware of any potential interactions between magnetic fields and materials or devices, such as pacemakers, that could be affected by non-uniformity.