Magnetic field variation with distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the variation of the magnetic field with distance and the difficulty in establishing a standard relationship due to the complexity of configurations and polarities. The speaker has obtained values for the magnetic field as a function of distance for two separate magnets, but the data seems to be almost random and does not align with theoretical calculations. The speaker is seeking advice on how to establish a more reliable relationship.
dfx
First of all I have put in ALOT of research into this and I do realize there is no standard formula for the variation of B with the distance because the configuration/polarities and so on tend to get complicated.

However, part of my investigation involves measuring the variation of the magnetic field with the distance. The values I have got so far tend to indicate no standard relationship and I get really ugly functions like:

[tex] f(x) = 53.491265*0.48728247^x

and f(x) = 85.849644*0.28785481^x [/tex]

showing the magnetic field as function of distance, x for 2 separate magnets.

The initial values, 53... and 85... are [tex] B_0 [/tex] which is the magnetic field at the surface (distance 0).

The graph digitally plotted seems to intersect through only 2 out of 5 points (it JUST shaves the error bars of some other points).

I am tempted to say the relationship holds for my magnets. While I do realize in physics what you observe is true, are such almost random relationship possible? Would my data be viable? Can you advise any other way of establishing the relationship?

PLEASE HELP! Advice/feedback much appreciated. :)

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Basing a formula purely on data is hard to justify. You can have little confidence what happens beyond the range you tested. In this case, you can calculate from theory what the asymptotic behaviour must be and check that your formula behaves the same way. (It doesn't.)

Likes Delta2

FAQ: Magnetic field variation with distance

1. What is magnetic field variation with distance?

Magnetic field variation with distance refers to the change in strength or intensity of a magnetic field as the distance from the source of the field increases or decreases. It is a fundamental property of magnetic fields and plays a crucial role in many scientific and technological applications.

2. How does the strength of a magnetic field change with distance?

The strength of a magnetic field decreases with distance from the source according to the inverse square law. This means that the strength of the field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. For example, if the distance is doubled, the strength of the magnetic field will decrease by a factor of four.

3. What factors can affect the magnetic field variation with distance?

The strength of a magnetic field is mainly affected by the distance from the source, the size and strength of the source, and the permeability of the surrounding medium. Other factors such as the orientation of the magnetic field and the presence of other objects or materials can also have an impact.

4. How is magnetic field variation with distance measured?

Magnetic field variation with distance is measured using instruments called magnetometers. These devices use sensors such as Hall effect sensors or fluxgate magnetometers to detect and measure changes in the magnetic field strength. The data collected can then be analyzed to determine the variation with distance.

5. Why is understanding magnetic field variation with distance important?

Understanding magnetic field variation with distance is crucial in many scientific fields, including physics, astronomy, and geology. It is also essential in the development of technologies that rely on magnetic fields, such as magnetic levitation trains, MRI machines, and compasses. Additionally, understanding magnetic field variation with distance can help us better understand the behavior of the Earth's magnetic field and its impact on our planet.

Back