Magnetic Fields and the Biot-Savart Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with physics and the use of formulas to find solutions. The problem involves finding the magnetic field at a certain distance from a long, straight wire carrying current. The conversation also mentions using formulas such as B= µ0*I / 2*pi*r and Ampere's Law to solve the problem. The specific questions asked involve finding the magnetic field at different distances and in different scenarios.
DragcoDavid
Hi, I'm new here but been looking to you guys for solutions for a while now. However, I cannot find the kind of solution on here already, so I thought I'd put it out here.

My main problem with physics is always just finding the formulas I need. If you can at least point me in the right direction with the right formula(s), I'll be most grateful.

Homework Statement

The magnetic field 35.0 cm away from a long, straight wire carrying current 7.00 A is 4.00 µT.

(a) At what distance is it 0.300 µT?
466.6667 cm

(b) At one instant, the two conductors in a long household extension cord carry equal 7.00 A currents in opposite directions. The two wires are 3.00 mm apart. Find the magnetic field 35.0 cm away from the middle of the straight cord, in the plane of the two wires.

? nT

(c) At what distance is it one tenth as large?

? cm

(d) The center wire in a coaxial cable carries current 7.00 A in one direction, and the sheath around it carries current 7.00 A in the opposite direction. What magnetic field does the cable create at points outside?

? nT

Homework Equations

B= µ0*I / 2*pi*r, where µ0 is 4*pi x 10^-7, I is current in A, and r is distance in meters.

I'm sure there are others, but if I knew them, I'd wouldn't be here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A)
B = µ0*I / 2*pi*r
(3e-7 T) = (12.56637e-7)*(7 A) / 2*(3.14159...)*r
r = (12.56637e-7)*(7 A) / 2*(3.14159...)*(3e-7 T) = 14/3 m = 4.6667 m = 466.6667 cm

Part B) ? No idea where to start... I thought the 2 opposite forces would cancel each other out, but not totally it seems. It asks the answer in nano-tesla, so I assume that there is some canceling out here.

Part C) Extension of part B, asking where the field is 1/10th the field is in part B.

Part D) Seems similar to part B, but you tell me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, it seems to me as if you are supposed to use Ampere's Law.

b) the cords actually want to push apart, try it out using the right hand rule.

c) plug and chug

d) definitely a question for ampere's law

FAQ: Magnetic Fields and the Biot-Savart Law

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and is represented by lines of force that go from north to south.

2. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device can detect and measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a mathematical equation that describes the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire. It states that the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

4. How is the Biot-Savart Law used in everyday life?

The Biot-Savart Law has many practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI and in navigation systems.

5. Can magnetic fields be harmful to humans?

In general, magnetic fields are not harmful to humans at low levels. However, at extremely high levels, they can cause health problems such as headaches, dizziness, and nerve and muscle damage. It is important to follow safety guidelines and limits when working with strong magnetic fields.

Back